Chapter 8: GREEN (3)

Chapter 8: Green (3)

At the outskirts of Vermillion City laid an orange-haired boy fiddling with his PokéDex.

Alongside him were his team of Pokémon.

Resting from their victory against the Vermillion City's Gym Leader: Lt. Surge.

Around the boy's neck was a pendant gifted to him by his grandfather.

His Ratatta saw it and became curious.

And began biting it in his curiosity.

"Hey, don't bite it. It's gonna leave a scratch," Gary said, pulling it away.

"You like it?" he asked his purple rat who nodded at his question.

"…This thing here is special. It was Gramps' when he wore it in the Indigo Grand League. He became the first Champion of Kanto as a result."

"One day, I'm gonna surpass him and become a Champion with my own strength. Not as his grandson but as Gary Oak," he explained with a determined look.

Ratatta was amazed at his Trainer, staring at him with wide and sparkling eyes.

His body started to shiver.

Vwooom.

Gary was taken aback at Ratatta's evolution, wearing a surprised expression.

Ratatta has evolved into Raticate.

'Was it coincidence? No, he had a look in his eyes…' Gary thought.

'As if he understood my dreams and wanted to help.'

Gary Oak knew right there and then.

Pokémon and humans could work together, becoming even better than being alone.

Soon after, Gary found himself aboard the S.S. Anne.

A luxury cruise liner which sails across the world.

There, he would be reunited with a certain raven-haired boy.

Lightning-shaped birthmarks, red vest with a white shirt, Pikachu.

And a red and white cap.

'Yep, that's Red,' the orange haired boy confirmed.

Said raven-haired boy turned towards Gary.

Arrogant face, purple shirt with long sleeves, a sack for a bag.

And a pendant around his neck.

'Oh, Green's here,' Ash confirmed.

"Yo, Red. Seems like you're looking better than the last time I saw you," Gary started with a smirk.

"You betcha! Me and my crew been training like crazy. Oh, and we've beaten Surge," Ash replied excitedly.

"Hah, but you've still got a long way ahead to reach my level," Gary bragged, showing his own Thunder Badge to his rival.

"Yeah… especially since I'm two members down," Ash said with a sad smile.

Gary looked at Ash surprised.

"Pidgeot went back to her flock while we were at Viridian Forest training. Apparently, there's a super-strong Fearow and its flock there. The Pidgeys and Pidgeottos there were defenceless without Pidgeot," Ash continued.

"And Pidgeot wanted to help so who am I to say no, right? Besides, I told her she could come back when the flock is strong enough," Ash said with a weak grin.