Chapter 19 | the day of death

You'd decided to just sit in the quiet for a while, have Ahk calm his racing heart before going back out to the main halls of the museum to hang out with everyone.

In his exhibit, his Jackals guarded the entrance to keep the noise away and allow for some peace. You'd pulled him into your lap, wrapping your arms around him to keep him comforted and watched over his shoulder as she drew doodles in that classic hieroglyph style all over the pages of your sketchbook to keep himself grounded and his mind occupied.

He was an expert at that style, having been raised using it back in his day. He didn't even need to draw guidelines, he could just whip up a figure with a few stokes of the pencil. You'd been teaching him classical realism, maybe he could teach you the art of ancient Egypt?

Your support was much appreciated, he'd never experienced a flashback before since being in the museum was a rather safe area where not many triggers were present. Unless he was trapped in his sarcophagus, or someone threw a sword at him for some reason, he'd be ok. He wasn't expecting to react to quickly and harshly to the mere sight of a blade being swung, but it turned out the night of his dead had more of an effect on him than he thought.

That night was very patchy in his mind, a lot of it suppressed and kept away from him for his own good. But whenever the details did come back to him, it shook him to his core.

He just couldn't believe the betrayal, the heartbreak that was being murdered in cold blood by your own brother.

What hurt more? The stab wound, or the heartbreak of someone you cared for turning on you? He didn't know. He didn't like to think about it, but alas the sight of that blade made it all come rushing back to him.

4000 years earlier.

While usually very hot in the vast deserts, the night had cooled to a comfortable temperature. And while the people of Egypt slept, the pharaoh was still awake. In his chambers he sat surrounded by parchment and ink, drawing up plans for a more shelters for the people that could withstand harsh weather but were still relatively simple to build. He had some ideas, and needed to get them all out on paper to consult with the kingdoms builders on the best way to go about it.

His people were growing in number, many children had been born into the world the past few years and as they grew up they'd need more space to live. Ahkmenrah was smart enough to know that if he got more shelter and living spaces out of the way now, they'd be prepared and ready by the time the next generation grew up and we're ready to leave their parents nest to start families of their own.

It was a calm night, one he didn't find different from any other.

A knock on the door sounded, and while he found it a little odd someone was awake this late, he figured it might be someone who worked for his family coming with news of something happening in the kingdom.

"Enter" he called out.

The door opened, and in stepped his dear old brother.

"Kah? It's rather late isn't it?" Ahkmenrah said.

"Yes it is rather late, but I have... something to enquire" Kahmunrah replied.

Ahkmen did find this a little odd, since his brother wasn't exactly one for talking things out. And the older they both got the more astray they'd become. But Kah was his brother, and he cared for his brother.

"What is it?" Ahk asked.

"You see little brother, I couldn't help but notice your plans to build more shelter for the people... they seem very pleased with that idea" Kah replied.