Chapter 16

The next morning, Sera woke up with a headache. She had spent the night somber and plagued with guilt. After her fight with Elias, June did end up going and meeting with him to calm him down but when she came back she mentioned that it was only a minor success. Sera deeply regretted letting the lie go on for as long as it did, but she knew there was nothing she could do about it at this point, other than to hope that her and Elias could amicably co-parent.

She took a long hot shower that morning in an attempt to soothe her achy head and heart. After she put on her makeup, lashes and dressed in a cream colored sweater dress. Her long curls were pulled into a high, messy bun. Afterwards, she gently woke up Emilia and washed her up as well. Emilia wore a baby blue, cotton shirt and leggings set with a big white jacket to keep her warm. Both outfits were paired with mommy and daughter matching sequin UGGs.

Sera was still styling Emilia's curls into two ponytails by the time that Elias barged in the bathroom. For a split moment, his eyes lingered over Sera. He quickly pulled his gaze away and sternly asked, "What's taking you so long?"

"Good Morning to you too." She shot him a glare and turned back to Emi, "I'm just finishing up her hair."

"I don't want to get stuck in traffic, her hair looks fine." He leaned in from the doorway, a smile spreading on his face as soon as Emilia looked up at him excitedly. His tone was gentle and kind when he spoke to her, "You ready to go baby?"

Emilia gave a big, toothy smile and reached out her arms for him to carry her. Elias picked her up and kissed her cheek. He then began walking towards the front door, his tone was cold again as he said. "Sera, come on."

Sera covered her mouth and tried to hold back her laugh. There was just something about the way that he checked her out and tried to stop himself, Sera noticed it and noted it. She pointed at herself in the mirror. "Still got it."

The car ride was mainly silent. Sera sitting in the front passenger side, leaned against the window, Elias driving with one hand with his mind clearly in deep thought. Emilia sat in the car seat snacking on her morning yogurt pouches.

Sera suddenly noticed that they had passed the highway exit that would've taken them to the courthouse. "Do you need me to pull up the GPS? We already passed the exit."

"We are making a stop somewhere else first."

She looked over at him, his eyes remained fixed on the road. "I don't have time for this today. Where are we going?"

He sighed. "We are going to HQ."

"What– of the CIA?" She questioned. "What business do me and my daughter possibly have at the CIA this morning?"

"Our daughter."

"I see today isn't going to be a good one." Sera muttered under her breath, giving Elias one big eye roll.

Thirty minutes went by before they got to HQ. Elias pulled up to the gate where 5 armed guards stood, in all black, doting assault rifles. They beamed brightly when they recognized Elias. The main guard reached in and dapped Elias as he sat in the car. "Agent! It's been months man, how are you doing?"

"I'm alright man, how about you? You're getting swole man, you've been hitting the gym?"

"Yeah! We've been trying to get like you!" He cackled. "What brings you in today brother?"

"Just got a few things to sort out real quick with my family."

He leaned down and peaked in the car. Quickly, the guard stood up straight. "Oh! Man, I didn't know you were married, and you got a kid? Man, I thought that you and Cerrano have been fu–."