Chapter 11

***Sorry this is a little late, I've been busy again! I'm thinking of making the chapters shorter and posting more frequently. Is that a good idea? Please comment when you've read it! I really want to know what you think and please tell me what you think I need to improve on! Thanks!***

Fili sat on the balcony for a long time, concentrating on keeping his breathing even.

"In...and out..." he told himself. He had to be dreaming. It just wasn't posible. It couldn't be true. Could it? Fili stared into the dark sky, searching for any sign of the eagle. His eyes wondered up to the moon and for a second he felt sure he had seen a winged shadow pass across it's surface. He closed his eyes and tried to block it from his mind. The night was not cold, and yet he still felt a shiver run down his spine.

After a while, he began to feel oddly calm. Fili refused to be so easily defeated. He got to his feet, dusted himself down and then glared up at the moon.

"I know what you are, Nemaiza!" He yelled to the sky. "You are a demon! You are a threat to my dwarven brothers and I will not rest until you lie dead at my feet!" Fili then grabbed hold of the ivy and lowered himself onto the balcony beneath Nema's room. He stormed back in the direction of the other dwarves, murder on his mind. Fili didn't care that Nema may not have heard him. She probably knew how much he loathed her. She had had plenty of warning.

When he reached his dwarven brothers, Fili sat beside Kili and smiled to let him know that all was well. He did not tell Kili of his plans. Fili knew that his brother would only try to stop him. He relaxed into his chair, content to merely listen to the elves play their music while he waited for Nema to return to them. Not long after Fili had sat down, Elrond, Gandalf and Thorin stood and left them. Dwalin explained to Fili that they were going to try and unlock the secrets of the map.

It was very late by the time Nema joined them at the feast. She wore the white and silver dress again, and her hair fell in a single braid that curled over her shoulder. Fili saw once again the claw necklace as it rested on her pale skin.

As soon as he saw her, Bifur leapt up out of his chair and ran to her. The dwarf wrapped his arms around her and grunted something she couldn't understand. Bofur followed after his cousin and grinned at Nema.

"Bifur says he is glad you are well," Bofur translated, "and so am I."

Nema smiled at them both, then patted her middle. "Elves are skilled healers."

"For once they do something right!" Dwalin barked. He strode towards them and pulled Nema into his arms, almost crushing her. 

Bifur then pushed Dwalin away and smiled at Nema in a dazed sort of way, holding out his hand to her. In his palm sat a roughly carved eagle, with it's mouth open and it's wings outstretched as if in flight. Fili leaned forward in his seat, waiting for Nema to react and admit to her true identity.  

But she did not. Instead, a warm smile crept onto her face and she allowed Bifur to put the carving in her hand. "Is this for me?" She asked, gazing in wonder at the wooden bird.  

Bifur grunted and Bofur once again translated. "He says yes, but he'll understand if don't want it, right Bifur?" 

The illiterate dwarf looked at his cousin sadly, and then nodded to Nema, grunting a bit more. Nema smiled at him, then hugged him tightly. 

"Oh Bifur! Of course I will keep it! It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!" Exclaimed Nema. 

Bofur laughed. "You obviously haven't looked in a mirror then!" He told her. Bifur grunted in agreement.  

Nema laughed too, blushing a little as she did so. "I love it Bifur. Thank you."  

Bifur beamed at her. He then took the carving back, for safe-keeping.  

One by one, all the dwarves hugged Nema and wished her a full recovery until only Fili was left. He approached her slowly, keeping his face straight and allowing no emotion to show. The other dwarves had begun to return to their seats, but when they saw Fili stop in front of Nema, they paused and watched him, wondering what his intentions were.  

"Nemaiza," Fili bowed, "I am glad you are well.' 

Nema narrowed her eyes a little. What was he playing at? She had heard him yelling from the balcony and wondered why he hasn't already run her through with his sword. "Thank you, Fili," she said, trying to think of every possible outcome of their conversation so she would be one step ahead of him. But what he said next confused her. 

"Would you care to dance, my lady?" He asked, offering her a hand. 

Nema stared at him, completely taken aback. The other dwarves mutter among themselves, just as confused as she was. "I...would love to," she replied, and took his hand.  

Fili led her a little away from the dwarves, who returned to their food having decided that Fili meant Nema no harm. Nema was expecting the dwarf to keep her at an arms length at least, but he surprised her further by pulling her close to him, dancing slowly with a hand on her waist.  

"Fili..." She began, but the dwarf cut her off.  

"Don't speak," he whispered in her ear. "I'm the one who is going to do the talking." 

Nema's mind was racing. One minute he wanted to kill her, the next he was holding her close to him and breathing on her skin in a not entirely unpleasant way. Fili put his cheek against hers as they danced, allowing his plan to slowly form in his mind.  

"I know what you are, Nema." He whispered.  

Nema's heart skipped a beat and her breathing became more erratic. Surely she wasn't actually scared of him? "No, you don't. You have no idea." 

Fili squeezed her waist a little and she drew in a sharp breath. "Be quiet. This is between you and me." Fili glance over at the other dwarves. A few were still watching them, looking for any signs of aggression, but most had resumed eating and drinking. 

Fili danced them behind a pillar, out of sight of the other dwarves. "I know what you are," Fili repeated, "you are a demon." Slowly, without letting Nema know what he was doing, Fili reached up and grasped the claw around her neck and pulled. The chain came loose and the dwarf stepped away from her, ending the dance.  

Nema stared at the necklace in his hand, immediately feeling the effect of not having it touching her skin. "Fili, please!" She tried to take it back but the dwarf held it out of her reach. "Fili, you don't understand!" 

"You are right, I don't," Fili snarled at her. "I don't know what this thing does for you. I don't know how you change into a bird but what I do know is it ain't right!" Fili slipped the necklace into his pocket. "You are a demon." He repeated, and walked calmly back to the table, knowing that Nema would not dare attack him when his dwarven brothers were there.  

She stared after him, wanting nothing more than to strike him down and take back what was hers. Nema felt suddenly short on air, her heart pounded in her chest and her vision blurred. She leaned against the pillar and slid down it until she was sitting on the polished floor. Once there, Nema rested her head on her knees, not caring that soon a dwarf or two would notice her absence and come looking for her. For now, it was all she could manage to get her breathing back to normal and slow her flailing heart.