Chapter 53: Last Meeting

"Chloe?"

They all stopped whatever they were doing, just standing in their place, eyes staring at me.

I quickly thought of an excuse, "Ch-Charger."

"Chloe I don't think this is a good time..."

"Charger man!" My arm stretched over Tori's shoulder and pointed to the tall guy beside Liz and they all looked at me weirdly, the silent killer aka awkwardness made me want to burry myself.

He glanced over his shoulder and then turned his attention back to me, "...Charger Man?—"

"YES!" I answered quickly and made Tori jump a little, "My- my dad asked me to look for a new P.A and I call him...charger...man?"

I smiled sheepishly and coughed before crossing my arms together, "Let's go... Uh-"

I bit my lip and looked at him fully.

What name would this man have?
Axel?
Xavier?
Jake?
Bruno?
Mar-

Fuck these Wattpad names I have to just wing it.

"MARCUS!" I clapped my hands together, "Let's- let's go...?"

The three of them looked at each other before he dropped the bags slowly and walked towards me.

The door closed and we were left alone outside.

"How do you know me?" He asked, looking down on me.

I NAILED IT—

"I don't know what you're smiling about Mija..."

My cheeks flushed in embarrassment and we walked away from the house, enough to not feel the heavy tension from inside.

"I'm so sorry I panicked and I just-"

"This isn't a happy day little lady. Tell me who you are, who you work for, and your business with me." His confused expression disappeared, now a more confident, and intimidating look was plastered on his face.

I felt my body grow cold. What the hell did I get myself into?

"I'm so sorry," He sighed, "I didn't mean to scare you- I mean I did but I would never hurt a woman. Just please tell your boss the payment will be there in 5 days. For now I need to be left al-"

Who does he think I am?

"—The charger man thing isn't real," I said, cutting him off. "I'm here to see Liz."

He visibly relaxed. He sighed loudly while his hand ran through his hair.

"Lia's busy," He scratched the back of his head, "I'm pretty sure you saw what was happening back there."

"I know." I said, "I got a call from the police station and told me she's back so I rushed here."

"I don't remember Lia having other family members." He said quizzically, "This is a family matter, so I think you should go home."

I've heard that name before...

"I don't remember Liz having other family members too." I glared at him.

I just want to know if she's okay.

"We went here together," He said sternly, "If you're worried about your friend I can assure you she's fine. Lia just needs time alone."

Lia.

Why Lia?" I asked, "that's not even close to her name."

"Marco came up with it," Tori started, "He has his own weird explanation about it but it works. That was over 3 years ago, we were kids."

"Tori told me all about what you did." I gritted my teeth, "YOU stay away from Liz because I swear- "

He clenched his jaw together, "I know better."

"That's what they all-"

"I wouldn't have let her even give me a glance if I didn't." He said, empathizing on every word, "Tori told you but you don't know me."

I gulped, embarrassed and intimated by him.

"You're not the only one who's worried." He turned his back and walked away, "Go home. Lia has me."

Guilt, jealousy, and hurt all mixed in my stomach like a sour soup waiting to pour out.

I sighed, tears threatening to fall down.

All this time I've done nothing right, my whole outburst ruined my chances with her.

I lost the first few people I actually start to cherish.

A call from dad tore me away from my thoughts. I quickly wiped my eyes and answered.

"Yes dad?"

"Where have you been?"

"Oh I got an emergency call, I'm sorry dad I'll be home."

Gerard came to pick me up per dad's order, a sleeping maddison on the passenger seat.

Reminding me that memory of us looking for an apartment.

"How'd it go?" He smiled.

I shrugged but forced to smile back nonetheless, "She said we'll meet in school tomorrow."

I closed the door and sank on the seat.

"Tomorrow's Saturday...?"

"Oh— uhm- Monday." I corrected myself, "she said we'll meet Monday."

He accepted my answer and started driving, the blue house slowly going past my sight.

We'll meet on Monday, I said, reassuring myself.

Turned out I was wrong, because that would be the last time I've seen her.

------------------

Author's notes

It's my birthday and since there's covid they didn't have new ugly pictures to torture me with (they did, however, send me a bunch of  cursed happy birthday greeting videos 😭)