20 ━ PUPPET

DEMONS.
( chapter twenty. )

Edited 12/26/2015 @1:37 AMEdited 07/16/2016 @12:06 PMEdited 11/29/2017 @2:19 AM

Edited 07/16/2016 @12:06 PM
Edited 11/29/2017 @2:19 AM

  ANDREA COULDN'T TAKE HER eyes off the plume of black smoke; a response to the explosion and the very place where Bucky should have been. Pain tore through her chest as she fell to her knees, too shocked to stop the fall. He was there— he was right there and she'd let him fade and disappear like the ghost she had believed him to be.

  It wasn't long before they were surrounded by HYDRA agents disguised as S.H.I.E.L.D. Andy could do absolutely nothing as someone came to cuff her. Everything was a blur. Her mind too preoccupied with memories of Bucky. His life— his death— and the organization that had taken him from her.

The pain was getting worse. It was the only thing that kept her aware; the feeling of blood pooling down from her arm, her vision coming in-and-out of focus.

Soon, the four of them were loaded into the back of a van. If HYDRA had been smarter, the group would've been separated. Andy figured it was a way of showing they no longer saw them as a threat. At least, not with the strongest of them so emotionally incapacitated.

Andrea sat down. She wanted to close her eyes. She wanted to drift away and sleep until everything made sense again. But, a laugh pulled her back to the present. Brutal and rough. She was quick to recognize the sound. The mockery in it.

Andy gave a sparing glance in Rumlow's direction. The smirk on his face made rage pool in her gut. He was a living, breathing reminder of all her failures in stopping HYDRA and she wanted to throttle him for it. Sleep no longer mattered. She was going to cut the smirk right off of his face if she had to.

  Rumlow leaned in close (a true mistake on his behalf.) "How does it feel?" He asked her, "Knowing that your friend— your husband— has become the monster you never wanted to be."

Andy didn't give him the chance to guess her next move. She turned slow eyes to him and hoped that he could see the hatred there. He would know then that the next turn of events were his own fault.

  Swiftly, Andrea pulled her head back before slamming it forward. Her forehead connected with Rumlow's nose. Crack. Then, her knee connected with his crotch. An all-too-easy mark.

Before he could stumble back, she let her cuffed arms drop over his neck. Rumlow struggled, but she pulled him close. Forearms wrapped tight to keep him from jerking away.

Blood gushed between them, slipping down from Rumlow's face and Andrea's shoulder. She didn't care. Anger was such an easy distraction from the pain.

  "Call him a monster again," she said, shaking him violently. "And I'll show you a real one." Her grin was wicked when all he could do was sputter on his own blood.