Chapter 11 Why Must I Be A Teenager In Love

Start from the beginning

The man himself was sat in the booth and from this distance, it seemed like he was trying to keep a low profile, even though he clearly had an audience. I spied a possible advantage point behind a pillar just to the side the girls, on the edge of the light thrown out from the burger van, yet still under the shadow of the dodgem canopy.

The girls were eating doughnuts, so I bought one, hoping to blend in a little more. I then tried to walk casually over, but the slight wobble of my heels made me speed up before I fell on my ass. How the hell had Olivia Newton-John managed to dance in them in the final carnival number in Grease?

As soon as I hit the rail, I felt Parker's eyes on me. So much for not drawing any attention. He looked kinda dazed, so I leaned into the pillar trying to fade out from view.

At least I was near enough to Durov's boys.

The smell of frying onions and sizzling burger grease filled the air. A couple of them were now eating and were even closer to my vantage point. They stood around the trashcan that was set out for the rubbish. They were definitely workers from the fair. I recognized one of them from my last trip to the yard.

They were also freely talking to each other, but unfortunately in Polish. Not my strong suit. I strained to hear and in the background could make out a few odd words of Russian. Someone was demanding more pickle and teasing about the extra side dishes on offer. I realized the guy talking to the girl at the grill was my best hope. Maybe when he had finished hitting on the fry cook, he might get back and chat to his buddies, hopefully in Russian, then this evening wouldn't be a complete bust.

I nibbled on the doughnut. It was still hot and the sugar stuck to my lip gloss, not exactly a glazed jelly from Dunkin doughnuts, boy I missed those. Even the jam ones at the supermarket here didn't hit the spot. From my listening post, I could also hear the two girls I was trying to blend in with at my left.

"Oh my god, he is seriously looking this way now. He is so unbelievably hot. Who do you think he looks more like, Colton Haynes or Dylan O'Brien?"

"It's the shaved head isn't it? What about Zac Efron from that movie when he's in the army?"

"What you mean The Lucky One? I wish. Nah, anyway his eyes are brown not blue"

"Whatever, I knew if we came back tonight he'd finally notice me."

"Notice you? Don't you mean us? Not being funny right? How can you say he's looking at you specifically? He is definitely looking our way and yesterday it was me who he spoke to."

What the? Parker spoke to these girls?

"Yeah, that's only because you caused that 10 car pileup. He had to talk to you."

"Listen, I don't care, whoever he goes for,the other one has to promise to be cool about it. Unless of course it's you, then perhaps we can talk him into a threesome" both the girls burst out giggling.