𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Depuis le début

"Alexander the Great sent troops in search of it," she continued.

"Hooray for him," Rick sarcastically cheered.

"So did Caesar," Evy added.

"Yeah, look what happened to his career," you sighed.

"And Napoleon," she added again.

"But we're smarter than him. And taller too," Rick teased.

"Exactly. That's why we're the ones who are gonna find it," Evy smiled, climbing up a ladder on her bookshelf.

"Because we're taller?" He asked, confused. 

Evy smiled and jumped down into Rick's arms, laughing.

Reading the room, you turned and walked out, going back downstairs.

You loved your brother, and your sister-in-law, too. But what they had together...drudged up too many painful memories.

Or rather, a painful memory.

Ardeth Bay.

The man who had swept you off your feet and stole your heart.

The man who was two-thousand miles away, yet on your mind every minute of every day.

Both of you promised you would see each other again, and save yourselves for when that day came, but-

A girl can grow old waiting.

With a sigh, you hopped off the last stair and and turned to Alex, who immediately tucked his wrist behind his back.

But you ignored that for the moment and instead flashed him a smile. "Happy to be home?" You asked, walking over to him.

"Couldn't be happier," he answered quickly.

"It's the year of the Scorpion," you stated, grabbing a book off the nearby table and showing him the Egyptian calendar.

"Neat!" He marveled, impressed.

"I thought you might like that," you grinned.

You glanced at the chest, and did a double take once you noticed that the key was missing. "Alex...where's the key to the chest?" You asked slowly, turning to him with a scolding look.

"What key?" He asked innocently.

"Alex, I'm serious. If you've lost that key, your mother is going kill you," you sighed, crouching down and going through his little coat pockets.

"I haven't lost it. I just can't find it. There's a difference," he corrected.

"Well, you better start finding it then," you replied, pulling your hands out.

"I will, Aunt (y/n). There's nothing to worry about," he assured, giving you his usual, adorable smile.

"Good evening," a random voice greeted.

A shiver shot down your spine, and you quickly stood up, turning around to find a man in red robes standing there, menacingly.

Glaring at him, you shoved Alex behind yourself. 

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" You asked, tone dripping with venom as you kept a protective hand in front of your nephew.

"I'm looking for the chest, of course," he answered with an alarming smile. "Give it to me now."

Quickly, Alex picked up the chest off the table, and you walked over to the wall, grabbing a sword and stepping into a fighting stance. 

"Get out of my house," you spat, narrowing your eyes.