Chapter 46 - The One With Mani's Blunder

Bhalla House - 11 pm

Ishita paced back and forth in the living room. It had been three hours since she last heard from Raman. Just two words in the text bubble: Working late.

After that, none of her messages or missed calls had been answered. Something was wrong. She could sense it, she could feel it in her bones. Raman never stayed out of contact for this long. As she paced, she occasionally glanced into Ruhi's bedroom to check on her angel; she was snoring soundly. Only Ishita knew how she had pacified Ruhi into going to bed. Her little girl had been upset at her father for working so much, but Ishita knew that wouldn't even last until the morning. Right now, she was worried for Raman.

When she finally heard the car pull in, she ran to the balcony, finally drawing in a breath of relief as she saw Raman step out of the car. But even from this distance she could see that something was wrong. He didn't have the usual spring in his step. His shoulders were hunched, not in exhaustion, but in dejection. And her heart fell.

He climbed up the steps and before he could knock or ring the bell, Ishita opened the door... And Raman lost his breath. She was so goddamn beautiful. How the hell had he landed a woman like her?

"Raman, kahan reh gaye the aap?!" she asked. "I was so worried. Aur aap phone kyun nahi utha rahe the?" [Raman, where were you?! I was so worried. And why weren't you picking up the phone?]

"Phone ki battery chali gayi thi," he answered, averting her eyes. He slipped past her, making a beeline for the bedroom. [My phone was discharged.]

Now Ishita knew for a fact, something was bothering him. They had each other's numbers memorized. He could've easily called her from another phone.

She darted into their bedroom to find him dropping his laptop bag on the table and pulling his tie free from his neck.

"Raman, kya hua hai aapko?" she whispered, her voice quivering. [Raman, what's going on?]

"Kuch nahi." [Nothing.] How could he tell her? How could he face her? When he was the one who had done this great injustice?

"Accha aap fresh ho jaayiye. Main tab tak khaana lagaa deti hoon." [Okay you freshen up. I'll serve your dinner.]

"Bhookh nahi hai." [I'm not hungry.]

"Lekin Raman-" [But Raman-]

"Kahan na bhookh nahi hai!" he yelled, finally turning towards her and meeting her eyes. [I just said I'm not hungry!]

Ishita flinched at his sudden outburst. Raman watched her step falter, her limbs jerk, and every last piece of his heart ripped to shreds. She flinched. For the first time in their marriage, she had flinched. She had seen him at his lowest, she bore witness to all his demons, yet today she flinched. What if you end up hurting her one day? Mani had said. No... he would never... he could never...

"S-Sorry Ishita...I didn't mean... I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." he stammered.

Ishita watched as her husband descended onto the bed, lied down, and pulled the covers to his chin. For the first time in their marriage, he had scared her. Not from the way he yelled, not from the way he avoided her, but with his eyes. His eyes had always been a window into his soul. And today, when she had looked into them, she saw utter heartbreak. And she flinched. What could have possibly upset her Raman to that extent?

Immediately, she rushed out of the bedroom and stumbled into the living room. She removed her phone from the charging port and clicked on the messages app. She opened her chat with Mihir.