Chapter Nine

Alyssia’s POV:

My breath got stuck in my throat. He wore dark jeans that hung low on his waist paired with a deep red polo that was slightly unbuttoned at the top. His biceps were on show and I had to stop my jaw from dropping. He looked so good.

He looked me up and down and every ounce of confidence I had drained out of me, was I wearing the wrong thing? Did I look fat? I immediately checked to be sure my scars were covered, they were. He muttered something under his breath that I could understand.

I was able to choke out some words, but had begun stuttering, “Am I too dressed up? It’s Bri’s. I- I can go cha-“ I was suddenly cut off.

Before I knew it Jesse’s lips were on mine. Kissing me breathless. His hands slid down my back to my hips. He began to deepen the kiss and pulling me closer to him when Bri cleared her throat, interrupting us. I pulled away and cut her a dirty look.

She smacked my arm playfully, “Since Alyssia seems to suck at introductions allow me to formally introduce myself, I am Brianna, but just call me Bri. If you hurt A I will kick you in the balls so hard they will land in your throat. Kay? Kay.”

Jesse laughed and began shaking his head in amusement, he then spoke seriously “Hello Bri and I can assure you, I will do everything in my power to make sure Alyssia is never hurt, by me or anybody else.”

My heart fluttered. He said his words with so much meaning and sincerity it made me feel so safe. I smiled and looked at my cousin and my boyfriend, the two greatest people I could ask for. The only two people I felt myself with.

Bri nodded her head in content and wrapped her arms around me and spoke in my ear, “I’m going to stay here tonight and go home in the morning so I’ll see you when you get home. Stay safe. I love you A. Happy Birthday.”

I pulled away from her grasp, “Thank you B. I love you too. I’ll see you when I get home.”

Jesse grabbed my hand and tingles shot up my arm, “Ready to go?”

I nodded my head in compliance. Bri’s hand smacked my butt jestfully, “Use protection” she said with a wink. Jesse began laughing and I just smiled while walking out the door.

Jesse led me to the passenger side of his car and opened the door to guide me in, I giggled at his chivalrous and formal behavior. I settled into the car while my heart picked up speed. This was my first date with a guy since the accident, nevertheless the first date I had with a guy I liked this much.

God, I liked him so much.

He let himself into the driver side and intertwined his right hand with my left.

He leaned back into the seat gripping the wheel with his empty hand a comfortable silence filling the car. I once again began to wonder why he’d go for a girl like me, there were tons of other girls in this town that were prettier than me, smarter than me, skinnier than me. Why would he go for such a broken and lost soul?

Jesse snapped me out of my thoughts when he broke the silence, “So, I have one request for you and that is that you put this blindfold on.”

“Oh God, is this were you kidnap and murder me?” I asked teasingly.

He laughed and stopped at the stop sign ahead. His laugh made my stomach fill with butterflies. I felt a smile tug at my lips just at the sound of it.

He reached into the backseat and grabbed a handkerchief motioning for me to turn towards the window so he could tie the blindfold.

Jesse placed the cover in front of my eyes, I was unable to see anything but I felt his lips press against the side of my neck slowly kissing my skin trailing up to my lips; we were then interrupted by the honking of a car behind us. I felt Jesse frown against my lips as he pulled away, “We can’t kiss without getting interrupted can we?” he asked rhetorically.