Chapter 84 - Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear?

"Are you really sure that you're riding Kuro? And wearing that as well," Gwen voiced out while gesturing at me.

"What is wrong with it?" I replied, ignoring her comment about my dress.

Yes, I am wearing a dress. I forgot to change into riding gear earlier, and we're already here anyway...

"Well, you know, because The Hunt is next year. Are you seriously thinking of making Kuro your mount by then?" Gwen bounced back.

I glanced at her, "Why not?"

"Are you not afraid of the people's opinion?"

I stared at Gwen blankly.

'Who cares about them? They are not the ones who'll be doing it, so why would I bother listening to their yapping? If any, they would probably start gossiping amongst themselves again.'

.

Gwen caught the look I was giving her and nodded.

"Forget I asked that..."

Heh~ Gwen must know me very well.

"Come, let's see who is faster! Bella or Kuro?" and grinned at her-- "The one who reaches the border, wins. Game?"

"They're both yours, why are you pitting them to each other?" Gwen pointed out.

I climbed on Kuro's back and situated myself after I put a saddle on him.

"For fun..." I said as I readied both of us-- "On the count of three! One. Two. Three!"

Kuro then bolted like lightning on the field, racing like the wind, with Gwen hot on my tails.

Both of us reached the borders in no time at all, with our hearts still pounding from the adrenaline.

It was a pretty close call. Kuro had surpassed Bella for only a mere meter of distance between them, but my cute fox seemed a little miffed about it. I could already feel that he would start running around the estate every day to practice his speed.

"Is the forest part of the Herman Land?" Gwen then asked out of the blue.

Both she and I gazed at the dense canopy of green woodland that expanded in front of us.

"I actually have no idea... Maybe?"

There is no clear border that we could see before our eyes. Just trees.

"It wouldn't be trespassing if we go in, then?" she then muttered.

I looked at her with a knowing smile, "Do you want to go?"

Gwen returned it with her own, looking very excited.

"Is it okay?"

"I think so..."

No one is here to stop us anyway...

I climbed again on Kuro's back before the two of us ventured inside the forest. It wasn't dark or anything, it was actually pretty bright, even though we are being surrounded by tall trees.

"It doesn't feel like there are monsters in here," Gwen commented after a little while.

I hummed at her words, agreeing with her.

If there might be really monsters, Kuro would probably be able to pick up their presence pretty quickly. Because he is a monster himself, and he is also very sensitive when it comes to that.

I remembered when the three of us, Nathan, father, and I, went hunting inside the great forest of Rosenthal last year. I brought Kuro with me to train him, which had brought us in an advantageous situation.