Chapter 5

Shu placed his left palm on the cool metal and horizontal green lights projected on his elegant hand, scanning it. After a short minute a low 'ding' of approval resounded and the wall began to dispatch and slide opposite sides in their respective slots. That revealed a singular staircase going straight up.

"What is this Shu?" Lain queried suspiciously.

Shu turned and motioned with a vague gesture to come along. Lain begrudgingly listened.

The stairs were made of a deep, burnt timber, the construction sturdy and the steps carried on and on into the darkness above. After a while, shadows conquered the light and only unsure silhouettes could be seen as they continued. Shu suddenly yet gently grasped Lain's hand causing the latter to gasp and quickly withdraw his hand from his trainer's incomplete grip.

"Lain, it's dark. It is dangerous when it's your first time and the stairs only get steeper." Shu's smooth voice explained allowing Lain to gain a better understanding of where he was.

"I don't need your help, Shu Kurenai." Lain stated unreasonably and impudently.

"Lain, stop resisting me." Shu ordered applying his authoritative tone as though he was dealing with a petulant child.

Shu again reached out, but this time closed Lain's right hand with his left and resumed his way up the ascending stairs. Lain's hand was limp in the hold whilst Shu's slim fingers carefully laced around Lain's hand. Lain's face was scrunched in a flurry of emotions as he stared at their interlocked hands so intensely it seemed as though it could drill a hole directly through them.

"We're here," Shu announces, apparently whilst Lain was visually assaulting their interlocked hands time ticked tenfold its usual speed.