Chapter Sixteen

As morning light trickled into my room, I slipped out of bed and made my way to the window. I waited until I saw riders depart from the castle across the snow-covered ground. Until Richard disappeared from my sight, I stayed there until returning to bed.

Over the next few weeks, I worried about his mission. If my uncle rejected Lady Lucia, the repercussions would soon be known. It was hard to find news as my aunt arranged a winter's visit to one of our obscure cousins. It was better than returning to Usk and in a matter of days, my aunt managed to secure a promise that Eleanor and I could stay there until spring. The small country manor didn't hold a candle to Aunt Joan's castle, but it was still far better than the gatehouse.

It wasn't easy to get news until one visiting musician mentioned that the Earl of Kent had married in Southwark. That should have taken care of my worries, but since women were seldom important, he didn't mention the identity of the bride. So I smiled and made my way to the local church to pray that we would be spared the king's anger.

A letter arrived right before Lent. This was from Richard and though my host's family watched, eager for exciting news from court, I excused myself to the narrow bedchamber I shared with Eleanor. I broke the seal and stared at Richard's familiar writing.

I spoke with your uncle on behalf of my sister. While he still holds her in great esteem, he prefers not to anger the king. He promises that he will provide for the child and many would say that is generous.

Richard's scorn seeped through the last sentence. He understood better than most what it was like to be unacknowledged by his true father. I imagined he must hate my uncle and I wouldn't blame him.

No one speaks openly of what happened, but everyone knows. I fear the king is aware of why I sought a meeting with your uncle and is ill-pleased with me.

I let out a frustrated sigh. The Lancaster king had his way, and it still wasn't enough. He knew Richard attempted to thwart his plans and would blame him.

Richard had to help his sister, but promised he would still approach Prince Hal. I didn't think there was much hope. Once again, a scandal haunted our families.

Everything might have worked out for my uncle, but he shared little of his new bounty with the rest of the family. The most I received from him was enough money to travel in halfway decent comfort to more cousins I had never met for the summer. Eleanor adapted to staying with relative strangers who had never even seen London, but I never could.

When I collapsed into another strange bed, I wondered if this was going to be the rest of my life. I couldn't imagine enduring another year of the indignity of being shipped off to unknown family and using all my skills to always act like a charming guest.

"You could always give up on your York," Catrin suggested as I practiced my rusty archery skills. "Wed a decent gentleman and have your own home."

I loosed an arrow, hitting my mark with ease. "You could do much the same. You don't have to follow me around forever."

"We're talking about you, not me." She grunted. "I know you love him. But he did not have to go running to do the bidding of that woman."

I reached for another arrow. "She is his sister. He is loyal to family."

"He should be loyal to you," she said, echoing the thoughts I kept inside.

"He is! We're still going to marry." This time the arrow sailed far past the mark, and I frowned. "These things take time."

Catrin cocked her head, skepticism clear in her eyes. But she gave no further arguments, and I ignored my own doubts.

Around midsummer, Richard surprised me with a visit. He used the excuse of traveling and asking for hospitality from my hosts. A little thrill went through my heart when I saw him, one of the few people who never forgot me. He was the grandest visitor, and we had no privacy to speak. Instead, he gave safe news and told exciting stories of battles to the children. Though he spent time in foreign palaces and came from one of the most important families in the land, he never showed any repugnance for the small manor hall. We had a short period together the next day when I walked with him to the stables as he prepared to depart. I had made it clear to everyone that I was sending a letter with him.