Part 6

Chapter 6

            “Can I drive you home?” Kyle’s voice made me jump. I shut my locker and turned to him.

                “Why?” I asked stupidly and regret it. Just say yes, damn it.

                He shrugs. “I feel like we need to catch up. Don’t you?” His tone is curious. Looking back into his blue eyes, I can’t help but nod. He smirks and leads me to his car, which is a truck.

                I open the passenger door and ponder on how I’m going to get onto the seat a good four inches above me. Jump? I throw my backpack onto the seat and crouch down a bit, but Kyle’s laughter makes me scowl in embarrassment and blush.

                “Need help?” he asks with a smug smile.

                “Sadly,” I say with my scowl. He snickers and grabs me by my hips and gives me a boost. I foolishly get caught in the moment and hesitate before climbing into the seat. I feel ever more foolish when I see him climb into the driver’s seat without any trouble.

                “He got too tall,” I mumble. Kyle wastes no time in pulling out of the parking lot, and follows by bombing the questions.

                “Why do you take the bus? Don’t you have a car?” he asks.

                “My brother took the extra car when he went to college,” I explain. Honestly, it sucked not having a car. Having to rely on your parents for a ride, or bugging a friend, or even walking was all a daily pain. At least I had the bus.

                “How is your brother doing?” Kyle asks, watching the road like a good driver should.

                I smirk and shake my head. “Uh-uh, mister. It’s my turn to ask a question.” Kyle snorts but doesn’t argue.  I ponder what to ask him. “How’s your sister?”

                “She’s doing really well,” he states with a hint of pride. Before I can comment he asks, “How’s your brother?”

                “He’s good. He enjoys college, but I always miss him. He’s been having relationship issues, as well,” I tell him.

                Kyle nods. “Don’t we all?” I freeze. Did he just say that? I look at him and when he notices me staring he looks really confused.

                I blink and look out my window instead. “So you’ve been dating, huh?” I try to sound casual but saying those words were like stabs in my throat.

                “Yeah, just this one girl. But we broke up a while ago. It just didn’t work out,” he says with no emotion. “It’s hard to trust someone these days.” I look at him and feel the urge to tell him ‘It’ll be okay’ but I can’t bring myself to speak. I immediately remember his dad and feel the sickly memory come back.

                “You can trust me,” I say without thinking. He instantly becomes rigid and pulls over. Again, I feel the awful regret setting in. Always ruining the conversation with your stupid mouth, I yell at myself. My gaze never leaves his face, even though all I want to do is look away and act like it hadn’t happened. I watch his jaw work and then he sighs and turns to me.

                “It’s not that easy,” he tells me.  “I’ve been hurt by so many people, in so many ways.” He runs a hand through his shaggy hair.

                I nod, showing I understand. He looks at me in a strange way that makes me feel like I’m being studied. Then he nods back, as if he is accepting me. “For some strange reason, Kate, I feel like I can trust you,” he says. But then he shakes his head, puts the car back in drive and goes back onto the road.

                What was that supposed to mean? I shrugged it off. “I met Royce today,” I say suddenly.

                “Oh, really?” He chuckles softly. “What’d you think?”

                I smile, remembering our first meeting. “In short? He seems pretty cool. The girls must drool over him.”

                Kyle laughs, then stops short and gives me a look. “Are you drooling for him?” When I shake my head he turns back to the road. Why do you ask? I wanted to ask that so badly. I thought maybe, just maybe, he could be jealous. But that would be low, and I don’t do ‘low’.

                “I think it’s your turn,” Kyle says.

                “Take a left here,” I say instead. We pull into my drive way and I realize that Kyle now knows where I live. I wonder to myself whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing.

                “Thanks for letting me drive you home.”

                “Thanks for offering,” I counter. We both smirk at each other. Then Kyle is out of the truck in one swift moment. I sit there, wondering why… when I suddenly hear a knock at my door and laugh. I open it to see Kyle holding out his arms.

                “I won’t drop you,” he laughs. I push on his shoulders and jump down. I sigh in relief, then hug him. He chuckles again and hugs me back.

                “I’ve missed you,” I say into his shoulder.

                “I’ve missed you, too.”

********************

Yeeeeesh, short chapter :/. Still uploading the ones from the past- ahhaa. Gotta dust 'em off- yaknow? I'll make them longer when I get up to speed. That sounded a little wrong. Eh? Vote! COMMENT! &&Fannnnn! <3

Kate,xoxoxo.