Interlude: Reiji

Reiji's eyes narrowed when he saw one feed from one of many, many, many cameras he installed throughout the stadium.

It was of one Briar Floren approach Shijima Hokuto and walks him to the duel arena.

Typing something, he switches on the hidden voice recorder and listens in.

"What do you want to ask about?" Hokuto asked.

"Kurosaki Shun." Reiji should have seen it coming. "The duel between him and Shiunin-kun has been brutal. Perhaps more than it was necessary." Reiji hid a wince. Yes. The aftermath of the duel is not a pretty one. His HR Department is still dealing with tons of complains and scathing critics about safety of duelists and lack thereof. Not everyone accepts Solid Vision With Mass System and those people use the incident as fuel to their case. "Admittedly, Shiunin-kun was in the wrong for angering and pressing Kurosaki's button too much, as well touching sensitive subjects. But that was not a reason for Kurosaki to drop an entire building, five-fucking-stories building at that, on him. Had the Action Field was not turned off, we would have first death in Action Duel happened."

Yeah. Reiji was glad he has forethought and installed a system where he can disable an Action Field at moment notice. If Shiunin Sora die, not only the backlash would lynch LDS alive (they don't have same reputation as Ryozanpaku--and even then, Ryozanpaku only sends their victim to hospital, never once killing their opponent), but they also would lose a potential information source... even if in the end Shiunin Sora manage to escape to Fusion Dimension.

Yet...

"Ugh. Don't remind me. That guy is nuts, I swear!"

"Has he always been like that? Kurosaki?"

"Not that I know.

"How did you not now? You two are part of LSD's Xyz course. You said he has been always part of it. How come you didn't know? Even if you never personally crossed path with him, you should know something even if it was from hearsays."

"I... huh. You're right. How come I know very little about him? This is weird."

Ah.

He see.

Clever girl.

She knows Kurosaki was not part of LSD. And instead accusing it directly, she goes subtle route by deliberately sought an LSD member and pointing out the obvious hole in the Altered Memory. Setting up the dominoes that will undone the memory alteration if given enough push to the correct direction.

Perhaps that's why she was the one who do the approach. Other members of You Show lack of subtlety needed to carry the investigation.

"Well, if you say you know nothing, then you know nothing." Floren Briar stated. "Good luck with your duel."

She stood there long after Hokuto was gone, before turned.

Straight to the camera.

"I know you are watching." She stated. "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus. Otherwise, it's a cranky dragon you will face."

Reiji sat here motionless, before let out a smirk.

Ha... what an interesting thing to say.

Floren Briar has quick-witted mind, in way she can make countermeasure on the fly or prepare it accordingly beforehand. The incident between LSD and You Show is proof enough that she was not someone to be underestimate. Not many dares to blackmail Leo Corporation and even fewer could walk away victorious. Reiji did some hack to erase the video from her phone, only to find she had reset it to Factory Mode ten minutes before. Foolish move, but she erases evidence of her crime in case his mother will use it against her.

Even then, he's sure she has back up somewhere. A hard drive disconnected from internet. Would be stupid to not.

Another proof is that how she keep her cards close to her heart. She only first Synchro Summon against Yaiba. One that according to readings, was comparably to top notch Synchro Duelist of LSD in term of power output. Then she refrains from using it, even losing a duel, to keep low profile. That is. Until Sakaki Yuya happened.

Their Tag Duel against Unno Divination School has been... enlightening. The feeds show how she keep her calm even when at disadvantage, as well keeping up with enemy tricks by slowly disable them one by one. Buying enough time until her partner get up on his feet, and even then, she set the chances to ensure Yuya would score a victory on his next turn.

It seems that she has soft spot towards Sakaki Yuya, with the latter is the only one with First-Name Basis privilege.

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus. Draco... Dragon. Are you referring to yourself or young Sakaki Yuya?"

The Tag Duel reveal that she has another Synchro monster in her sleeve. A Dragon Synchro Monster by name Black Rose Moonlight Dragon. Quite powerful, as she uses its effect to maximum potential. Not only that, the reason Reiji was drawn to that duel, was because the energy reading. If her summoning her Aromage Synchro monsters is equals to LDS Top Synchro Duelist, then Black Rose Moonlight Dragon is easily double that.

Reiji was sure, she has something stronger. She has habit keeping her cards close to her heart and seldom using it.

She knew she was being watched and thus reacted accordingly.

Not just that. She even prepared her schoolmate, even if it was the only one she's fond of.

Sakaki Yuya has significant development under her tutelage. His Tag-Duel alongside her, was the last time he made blunder in actions and losing his composure. Even in face of insults, he remains calm. He takes a break in dueling, and come back strong. Showing up with Synchro monster, and during his first duel in the tournament, Ritual.

They're not Pendulum, though.

Speak of Pendulum, Sakaki Yuya adds more monsters. To quote Floren Briar, he add more odd eyes to his repertoire.

Reiji had made some research.

Odd Eyes Archetype doesn't exist. At least, not until recently.

Even Performapal Odd Eyes monsters was not a combination anyone would think of, purely because Sakaki Yusho's reputation dragging Performapal's reputation down through the mud. But Odd Eyes Dragon? Reiji believes there's only one of that Dragon until Sakaki Yuya show him otherwise. Both Pendulum and non-pendulum monsters.

Ha.

Sakaki Yuya has grown into fine person. He would make a good Lancers. And it thanks to one new face that show up out of blue.

"Floren Briar," Reiji mused, "would be a superb Lancer Candidate."

Her skillset would be very useful. Reiji has many [hammers] he can pick, he was almost spoiled for choice. But a [dagger] like Floren Briar seldom come.

But first, he must test them. He can't be too hasty with decision. The First and Second round of the tournament's purpose is to select candidates for Lancer Selection. Then the third round will finalize its members.

Suddenly his alarm monitor makes sounds. Reiji checks what it was.

Two people in hood sneaking in. He narrowed his eyes and saw the shape of their Duel disk.

Shield.

Academia.

Even more, he knows the girl.

"...this is either a good sign or a bad sign." He mumbled as he gets up.

He has a reunion to make, and hopefully someone to capture and interrogate.