Chapter 4...

Chapter 4...

‘I was having a good dream...’ I heard myself moan.

‘Really? Well that’s nice, isn’t it?’ Mother had just woke me up at something stupid o’clock in the morning. Not fun! Well, that’s parents for you. ‘Get up; I need you to help Elime with breakfast...which you would have missed, if you had slept any longer.’ After taking a moment to bustle, huffily around my room-possibly for effect-before she realized that I had not got up yet, so yelled at me, ‘NOW! GET UP NOW, MIYA!’ It was not until five minutes later, when I finally materialized in the kitchen, that I found out that the whole of the house had heard my mother’s outburst...whoops!

Breakfast soon passed, with only a few minor incidents, the worst o which was when in the washing bowl and whilst trying to ‘shoo’ it away, Elime managed to spill the contents on the floor, where every last spoon seemed to sprout legs and hide in the furthest reaches of the room. Of course, the dog did not want the water after it had been on the floor, so I had to mop up every last drop, under Elime’s watchful eye.

It was only when I heard a deep laugh echoing through the hallway behind me, that I remembered the promise I had made to Gayne, last night. He had made me promise that I would visit him today...and I had already forgotten...shit...

Following the sound of his laughter, I found him lounging over the chair next to the blazing fire, in the hearth. ‘Whatever happened to me visiting you?’ I queried when he saw that I had seen him.

He smiled and said: ‘Sorry, but I couldn’t wait and before Hane left he had mentioned that you would probably be up and ready, so I thought I would come and pick you up, instead.’ Hmm...it makes it sound like i get up at this time voluntarily. Well, I was not about to inform him that he was wrong, was I?

From the look on his face, when I looked up, I could tell that I had been day-dreaming and still had not replied, so I hastily tried to remember what we were talking about. ‘Aah, yes...’ feeling myself turning slowly pink, I continued ‘He usually is. It’s quite depressing really, but sometimes it’s nice to have a smart person around.’ He chuckled at this and I turned to see my mother entering the room with a fresh basket of washing.

‘Miya if you don’t make a sharp exit out of this house, or I shall get you doing something useful. Hello there Gayne! Are you okay?’ nod. ‘Good. And your brother?’ Another nod. Perhaps he thought that he ought to make an attempt at a proper answer because he said, ‘yes, miss, he’s fine, thank you. Working his rather large backside off somewhere in the village, I believe.’

‘He’s a good egg, that man and you’re not bad either.’ She glanced down at the clothes, then up at me, ‘and you had better get going.’ Before exiting the room. Eyeing the basket cautiously, I looked once again into that handsome face. ‘So then. Where are we going? Assuming that you want to go somewhere with me, ‘cause it looks like I’m going whether I want to or not...’ I glanced quickly up to the hallway, then back at Gayne.

‘Okay then, how about you go and get ready and I shall meet you in Market Square in about fifteen minutes.’ He suggested, slyly.

‘Hmmm.’ I considered it. ‘Will it be worth it?’

I laughed as he replied: ‘I cannot believe that you would ask me such a question! I would have thought by now that you would have realized by now that any time spent with me is well worth it.’ He winked, and then strode towards the door.

‘Okay then, I think that will be okay, but should I be wearing a dress or riding gear? Travelling cloak? He turned to me with a smile and said: ‘nothing..?’ Not sure if he was joking or not-not sure if I wanted him to be joking or not-I smiled back at him, but I think that my cheeks must have turned slightly pink, as he said, quickly: ‘It doesn’t really matter what you wear. Clothes are clothes.’ And with that, he turned once again and, still grinning, ducked under the low door frame and stepped out onto the doorstep. ‘Market square...fifteen minutes...and don’t forget this time.’

I raised my eyebrows. ‘mhhmm. Yeh.’ He winked, and then closed the door behind him. As he walked around the edge of the house, towards the road, I watched him through the window. Why was I ever worried about what he would think of me? Gayne is amazing. Hane in miniature, with grey eyes, dark hair, a better sense of humour and overall better looking. Oh yes, and nowhere near as old. Okay then, I guess...maybe he is not so much like Hane, after all...