19. Dangerous Part 1

Comincia dall'inizio

I looked at him.

He looked really worried. Scared almost. It was weird. Even his tone. The shock and confusion in his voice. The way he asked if I was ok. Like a mother worried about her son who flew off his bike.

"I'm fine," I told him.

"Are you sure?"

When he asked me that, I struggled to hide my emotions. I felt my heart shatter in my chest. But I was a man, I needed to deal with this on my own. So I just nodded in response.

There was a silence for a while. I just stared at the floor, feeling my eyelids slowly starting to give up as the pulse in my head became more aggressive. I didn't want to seem rude but I really wanted him to go so I could get some sleep. I wasn't really feeling up to anything today.

"Leon?"

I looked at Mr Mpumelelo.

"Are you sure you're ok? You don't look great at all."

"May I offer you something to drink?" I asked him avoiding the question. I got up and my suit jacket fell off the couch. "I've got tea, coffee, fruit juice, flavoured water," I listed picking up my jacket.

Something suddenly fell out one of the pocket.

I looked at the floor to see what it was. I silently gasped and looked up at Zee's father to meet eyes with him. He wore the same expression of shock as I did. He looked at the floor where a few of the joints Ryan gave me lay. I slowly crouched and picked them up, keeping my eyes on him.

I shoved them in my pocket one by one. He watched me. As I picked up the last joint he asked me, "You're smoking dagga now?"

"I... its my brother's. You know... Ryan."

He looked into my eyes, "Last time I checked you two don't get along."

"We dont. I caught him with them and confiscated them."

"Right."

"You still haven't answered my question. Would you like something to drink?"

"No. Thank you."

~Zinhle Mpumelelo~

I woke up to the sound of my office door barging open.

"Zinhle!"

I sat up slowly with my vison blurry. I blinked a few times to try clear my vision. As I could see better, I realised Kanya was standing on the other side of my desk staring at me. She looked worried.

"Good morning," I yawned stretching my back.

"Zee... this is not you."

"I'm fine," I told her, rubbing my eye.

"You look horrific. Plus Ryan called and said in 10 minutes he'd be here."

I frowned. "Why?"

"You have a meeting with him regarding his investment proposal. Remember?"

Realisation hit me and I gasped in horror. "Shit!" I got up an grabbed my bag and my phone. "Umm... when he gets here, tell him I'm running late. I need to go freshen up." I told my best friend.

"You better hurry."

I rushed out the shop and went home. I brushed my teeth, took a five minute shower. That alone, exhausted me. I didn't know how I was going to make it through the day. My heart was still in pieces and ever so often, I was tempted to just stop and cry.

But I knew better than to let myself remain down in the dust. I knew, the longer I stayed, the harder it would be. I had to move on.

I got into fresh clothing. I put on shoes. Put on some make up. I looked at my reflection and let out a sigh. I looked dead. I looked broken. I took a deep breath trying to soothe the pain in my chest. I then left for work.