022

Charlie was peacefully sleeping in her bed, it was around 7:30 when she started to stir.

It was another nightmare, she was being left out in the cold again, she could hear her old father shouting at her, hitting her, she was scared but she didn't know that what he was doing was bad.

When he hit her, she didn't know that what he was doing to her was wrong.

"Stupid child! What are you doing, your supposed to be asleep!" He shouted, watching as his daughter cried, sat at the foot of her mattress, the single mattress that sat on the floor of her bedroom, a single blanket and pillow the only things to keep her warm.

"I-i-i had a nightmare" she whimpered, longing for a hug or some sort of comfort.

"Your so stupid, why are you being so childish! Stop fucking crying!" He shouted at her.

"You should have been the one to die! Not them! You!" He screamed at the little girl, his own daughter, but it was like he had no control of what he said or did.

And then he hit her, his hand made contact with her face, hard.

She cried out in pain, his thick wedding ring, upon contact giving her a cut on her cheek.

Charlie felt the blood trickle down her face and cried more, the thought of bleeding made it hurt so much more.

"Stop crying!" He shouted at her, charlie let out a whimper as she tried to stop the crys of pain.

She was sure to have a bruise on her face tommorow.

He was sorry, he was so so sorry but he couldnt say it out loud, he held so much regret but he had no control of anything he said or did.

He let out a few tears but quickly wiped them away, leaving the room so he wouldn't have to look at what he did to her any longer.

Oh how he wished to comfort her, to tell her everything was alright but he couldn't bring himself to, and deep down he knew that she would be terrified of him but he longed to change that.

Charlie cried herself back to sleep that night, when he heard her cries fade he carefully walked back into the room, watching as she slept peacefully.

He crept carefully up to the mattress on the floor and knelt down beside her, brushing the stray hairs out of her face carefully, as to not wake her up.

He pulled her blanket up to her chest and tucked her in.

Looking at her face where the purple bruise now sat.

He looked at the cut that his wedding ring made and cried, he cried so much that night, finally leaving when it got to morning.

Charlie saw her leave the room and it gave her faith, that deep down he was good.

Charlie woke up around eight as usual and crept downstairs, running towards wilbur and gripping onto his leg as she cried, all she remembered from the nightmare was the shouting and when he hit her, after that she had no recollection of anything else.

It had been a few days since Charlie's last nightmare and wilbur thought he was making progress but apparently not.

"charlie, come here sweetheart" wilbur said softly, careful not to be too loud, picking her up and placing her on his knee, his friends around him sat quietly observing the scene unfold.

"Shhh... I'm here, I'm not going anywhere okay" eilbur told her, brushing through her hair with his palm ad she hugged him tightly.

"You hear my heartbeat? Focus on that okay" he told her, hearing her uneven breaths and knowing how much the sound of a heartbeat helped her.

Charlie nodded slightly as she cried, sniffling into his chest, hiding her face away from everyone in the room.

"Just breath" he whispered to her.

Once she calmed down she rubbed her eyes with her hands tiredly but she really didn't want to sleep and wilbur already knew that.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Wilbur asked her carefully, knowing she didn't really like talking about what happened in her nightmares but wilbur wanted and needed to understand do he could at least try to help her.

Charlie said nothing, letting out a soft sniffle before lifting her head to look at wilbur, puffy, bloodshot eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"I-i-i was back there an-and he w-was shouting at me" she told him, cutting herself off as she let out another cry, pushing her head back into wilburs chest.

Everyone looked at her with pity, their hearts breaking as they saw how upset she was.

"Shhh, shh, its okay, your not there anymore, your here with me" he told her soothingly, rubbing her back softly to comfort the girl.

"I'm not going anywhere okay" he told her softly, holding her close to him.

A single tear fell down his cheek which he quickly wiped away but it didn't go unnoticed by his friends.

"I-i don't want to go sleep" she whispered to wilbur who was looking down at her in sadness.

"You need to sleep honey, we can do something tomorrow if you want to, how bout that, but your gonna have to get some sleep" he told her.

"C-can I stay w-with you" she asked him, looking up at him, her eyes begging him not to leave her alone.

"Yeah okay, you have to go back to sleep though" he told her and she nodded tiredly, hugging wilbur whilst her eyes started to droop which pleased wilbur, usually when he put her back to bed she'd be awake for at least an hour.

He was glad that charlie was quiet a heavy sleeper and talking didn't wake her or he'd have to take her upstairs.

In no time charlie was asleep, her breaths had evened out, wilbur sighed in relief, resting his head on the back of the sofa.

"Are you okay will" niki asked him.

"Just worried, I don't know what's going to happen when we get to court and she keeps getting nightmares and I'm just scared" he told her honestly, looking down at his child which put a small smile on his face.

"Everything will be okay" dream told him.

But in reality...

It wouldn't.