Simula

[His POV]

In the Rebirth Era, about 600 years ago, the Elvesmiths were born. The unknown minerals from an asteroid got mixed up with the contaminated sea and polluted air which caused their existence.

Each Elvesmith have a strength of a hundred men and can heal their wounds quickly. Their only weakness is their eyes, their eyes that are red as blood. They are greedy creatures and wanted the earth for themselves even if it wasn't theirs in the first place.

The Elvesmiths multiplied like humans. Day after day, one country from another gets invaded until the humans decided to unite. They created an army that are mobilized for exterminating the Elvesmiths. The soldiers were trained to the fullest before becoming an official member of the AEA, Anti-Elvesmiths Army.

The extinction of the Elvesmiths is ineluctable until half of the earth was fully invaded by them. The humans decided to focus on nurturing the remaining part of the earth for them to continue life. There are borders that are heavily protected by the AEA and because of their limited strength, they can only take some part of the earth back little by little.

"The Elvesmiths are... strong," nakaawang ang mga labing sambit ko habang pinapanood ang isang footage na nakuha noong Year 6214. Madaming buildings ang nagsasabugan, mga tao na humihingi ng tulong at ang mga suldado ng AEA na nakikipagpatayan sa mga Elvesmiths.

"Yeah, that's why we have the AEA to protect us." I heard my Mother said and I was just staring at the screen with my mouth half-opened. The soldiers are incredibly good and even if they don't have the strength of a hundred nor can regenerate theirselves, they still stood on the same level with the Elvesmith in terms with their combat and strategy.

And I... I want to be like them. I want to protect humanity from the witches and take the peace that we once lost.

"Mom, have you ever seen an Elvesmith up close?" I asked my Mom when she's busy preparing our dinner.

"I never did and I thank the AEA for it. We are safe because of them. They're risking their lives to protect ours."

"I want to be like them. I want to join the army and protect others. It's also my way of thanks that humanity manage to reach this far because of them."

Natutuwang ginulo ni Mama ang buhok ko dahil sa aking turan. "It's dangerous. I don't want to lose my only son. You can be a doctor if you really want to help."

"I want to expand our territory. If everyone are scared to join the army, then who's gonna fight for us?" Napatikom ang mga labi ni Mama dahil sa depensa ko.

"Tell me more about them, Pa." I approached my Dad when he was busy making broom out of coconut leaves.

"About the Elvesmiths?" Tumango ako.

"They kill humans mercilessly and the longer they stay on earth, the greater their evolution become. In the Year 5618, they were still crawling like sea monsters with red eyes and as time goes by, they started to look like us except for their eyes. Year 5668, their skins are adapted to any weather conditions and temperature. Up until now, they're still evolving."

"It's the same for us. Am I right, Pa?"

"Yes. Scientists and armies are developing and training all possible ways to defeat the Elvesmiths. From closed-combat techniques, fast reflexes and great weapons, humans are doing their best to withstand the calamity against the Elvesmiths."

Hindi ko maiwasang mapahanga sa pagiging maalam ni Papa. Isa siyang guro at nagtuturo siya sa isang maliit na paaralan malapit lang sa bahay namin. Mula pagkabata ay na-ensayo na kaming magsalita ng wikang inglis dahil iyun ang lenggwaheng ginagamit ng lahat. Nung ika-56 na siglo, sumang-ayon ang lahat ng mga tao na magkaisa at dahil sa sobrang dami ng mga lenggwahe sa buong mundo ay napagdesisyunan ng lahat na dapat ay inglis ang unang lenggwaheng matutunan ng bawat bata.

"If you want to know more, you can visit the library. Aunt Red can lend you some."

Everyday, after school, I would read books after books. My mind is hungry to know more about them and to understand more about our history.

Kung gusto kong maging isang matapang at malakas na suldado ay dapat may sapat na kaalaman ako. Mula sa mga armas, kasaysayan, agham at kasanayan ay inaral ko lahat.

"Thank you for your sacrifices!"

"Welcome home, soldiers!"

"Please, accept our gifts."

"May God bless you!"

Nakaawang ang aking mga labi dahil sa paghanga habang nakatingin sa mga suldadong galing sa boarders. Merong nawalan ng mata, paa, kamay at mga sugatan pero pinipili pa rin nilang ngumiti sa amin para iparating na bawat bukas ay may pag-asa pa.