Chapter 4 - LA to NYC

A grey Range Rover parked outside the coffee shop as Sam was texting Trisha to let her know she wouldn't be in until the afternoon. She planned to take them for dinner and drinks later. Sam made it her main responsibility to close the office once a month three hours early and treat her staff. Sam's phone went off, she answered the familiar number on the second ring.

"I'm looking at you" Ethan told her

"Oh you stalk too" Sam responded smiling  

"I'm illegally parking, throw your microwaved croissant away and let's go" he told her playfully

"Isn't this the very same microwaveable coffee shop that we fell in love in just a few days ago?" "Walk and talk with that sarcasm young lady"

Sam gathered her stuff and threw her untouched coffee away. What was interesting about Sam was this, she bought coffee everyday but does not like or drink coffee. There are many things about Sam that made no sense.

Sam got into Ethan's car and looked around before she buckled her seat belt.

"All good, no monsters. We can go?" Ethan asked her playfully making gestures with his hands that suggested there might be monsters in the car.

"I'm just making sure there's nobody in the back that will put a pillow case over my head or anything. Sex trafficking is still a big problem. So before you get any bright ideas, I'm in my 30's. You won't make a penny off me. You need a 19 year old" Sam explained with a straight face.

"You look pretty, cute shirt dress"

"Oh?! Thanks. I've had it for a while but I debated wearing it because someone told me it looked like a shower curtain" Sam looked out the window as the car started moving.

"A shower curtain, have you seen shower curtain options recently? Shower curtains are a luxury item now, tons of designer collaborations. I think DJ Khaled has a Versace one in his baby's bathroom. I would take the shower curtain comment as a compliment".

Sam smiled at him and he looked at her and smiled back. It was a silent - I got your back vibe. She relaxed in her seat and reached for her cell phone to put it on airplane mode.

***********************************************************************

Ben looked at his watch, it was 4:30PM and for a Wednesday it felt like a nice Sunday. Ben had to find a way to get Jack out of his apartment, he sat in the kitchen rethinking his life choices once again. Why did he agree to allow everyone to come back to his apartment for a nightcap and now him and Jack were "Fairly Odd Best Friends."

Ben went over the series of the last 48 hours in his head. He was being fed vodka and sprite by Michael all night, there was a lot of dancing and kissing. At some point, Jack thought it was a good idea to invite Michael and some other random guy who claimed to be straight but said the music at gay clubs was better. If that makes him sleep better at night, Ben wasn't going to be the one to judge, he judges people on Sundays and Mondays. Today as Wednesday, it was a judgement free day.

They got to Ben's house, ordered pizza and DoorDash two bottles of tequila, in hindsight this was a terrible idea. Ben could hear his ancestors on the left side of his brain calling him an idiot around the same time Jack announced this brilliant plan. Ben went along with it, even though he really just wanted to go home and be drunk in peace.