15 | ι кnєω уoυ ωєrє тroυвℓє

No apologies

He'll never see you cry

Chapter 15 ~ I Knew You Were Trouble

Liam Slater

It was almost noon when I arrived at Xavier's house.

He was out running errands, but he told me to use the spare key under the welcome mat to get in and make myself at home. Ever since I opened up about Scotty, I felt as though I grew a personal connection with Xavier. One that wasn't quite professional, but heartwarming nonetheless.

I had been in his house enough times to know exactly where he kept his bottled water, but I didn't feel comfortable enough raiding his pantry without his presence. Instead, I decided to sit on one of the stools near the kitchen island and wait for his return.

As I waited, I scrolled through my text messages with Max. I thought we were on good terms now that I explained everything to him, but he wasn't answering any of my texts or calls.

I didn't know how long I sat for and I couldn't remember how long Xavier said he would be, so I was utterly confused when I heard weird sounds coming from upstairs. It was a series of thuds followed by loud groaning.

I furrowed my brows together. I really didn't want to intrude on whatever "errand" Xavier claimed to be running, but I didn't want to be waiting for hours either.

I pulled out my phone and sent him a quick text.

I thought you said you weren't home.

He responded only seconds later.

I'm not.

I stared blankly at the text message as my brows drew together in confusion. I became more alert when I heard the obnoxiously loud thudding sound again. Curiosity got the best of me when I found myself inching off the stool and slowly following the origin on the noise. I knew it wasn't exactly a smart move, because I had no idea what I was up against, but I couldn't help myself.

As I neared the head of the stairs, the noise grew louder. Taking cautious steps and being careful not to give my presence away, I continued onto the bedroom at the end of the hallway. Once I was close enough, I pressed my ear against the closed door.

"Oh, fuck! Fuck me harder!"

I didn't recognize the voice, but I knew it certainly wasn't Xavier's.

I let out an involuntary gasp and stepped away from the door like it had just burned me. It was Xavier's husband - it had to be - and he was cheating on him! How dare he?!

I shook my head in disbelief and continued to walk backward until my back brushed against the banister and I darted down the stairs as fast as I could to get away from the atrocity occurring upstairs. As soon as I hit the bottom, I paced around in a small circle, running my hands through my air and breathing heavily in the process.

How could anyone cheat on Xavier? He was handsome, smart, and kind. How could that son of bitch do that to him?

I already knew what I had to do. It would hurt him, maybe, but it was better that letting him believe his marriage was healthy.

I had been sitting on the sofa for ten minutes when Xavier's husband finally made an appearance by jogging down the stairs, wearing nothing but a pair of loose fitting sweat pants. When his eyes landed on me, he stopped in his tracks. "What are you doing here?"

I had seen him enough times by now every time I came to visit, but I always thought he was a loving husband. He was nothing but a cheater.

"Xavier gave me a key," I responded, dryly.