Chapter 2

After the school day I waited in my car. Finally Brittany knocked on the car window. I unlocked it for her.

 "You're late." I said.

 "Well I had something." She told me. 

"I don't care for any explanation, I just wanna get this over with." I rolled my eyes. 

"Who's house?" She questioned.

 "Mine, Spanish." I stated, not caring about what she wants. 

"Okay, cool." She replied. There was a lot of awkward silence. 

"How far away is your house?" She asked randomly. Wow, that scared me. Not expected. 

"I live in Lima Heights so like 10 minutes." I told her. 

"Okay. That's a bad part of town. Are you ever scared?" She said. No shit it's the bad part of town, I've lived there my whole life, I think I'd know by now. I'm not scared, I've been in fights with people as long as I could remember. 

"No. Not at all. You're just a scared little coward." I told her. 

"Just making conversation." Brittany rolled her eyes.

 I stayed silent then said, "We're just here to study, don't think we're friends and will ever be with the small talk."

 "Okay listen Santana, I'm just trying to be civil. Jeez." Brittany said. She's trying to be nice? I stayed quiet. 

We finally got to my house. We exited the car. I tried to find my key, I really need to clean out my bag, it's like a black hole. After finally finding the key, I tried to unlock the door. But pushing the screen door open while carrying my backpack, gym bag, and a binder that didn't fit in my backpack is fucking hard. 

Brittany was tapping her foot on the porch. Omg girl stop, I'm trying. "Just let me do it." She said, trying to get the key out of my hand. 

"No, I'm fine. Give me one sec. Oh my god, you're so impatient." I stated. Stop!

 "You're carrying so much just let me do it. It's cold out here." Brittany said shivering. She's cold? I'm wearing a short skirt, and a thin cheerios jacket that literally has no warmth.

 "Fine." I mumbled. It's just cold and I wanna get inside. She took it from my hands and opened the door. It was weird when our hands were just touching. 

I was debating on thanking her. "Um thanks I guess." I said as we got inside. 

We didn't make eye contact this whole time. Well she tried to, I didn't. She's trying to be so nice, just stop. Her brain is so small that she can't figure out that I hate her. 

"Your house is nice." She complemented. Honestly I love this house.

 "Yeah, I like it." I responded.

 I went into the kitchen because I had 4th period lunch and was starving. I grabbed a packet of pretzels and seltzer. "Do you uh want anything?" I asked, unsure what to say. 

"No thanks, I'm good." She replied. Good, I didn't wanna give her anything anyways. 

"Okay, then let's get this over with." I said.

 "At the table?" She questioned.

 "Yeah." We sat down at the kitchen table.

 "So, we sadly have class together, so that means we have the same homework so I guess we'll do it together." I told her.

 "Okay." She went into her bag and got her folder then proceeded to get the packet. This is awkward. I got my stuff and set it out on the table.

 "Sorry to ask, but do you have an extra pen or pencil? I always leave my pencil case in my locker, and was kinda used to that routine." She explained. Well she knows we're doing this tutoring thing so she should've used her brain to bring her stuff.

 "Yeah, whatever." I rolled my eyes at her then gave her another pen. 

"Thank you so much." She smiled. Wait, her smile is actually really pretty. I looked at her for a split second then reminded myself I hate this girl. 

We started doing our homework aka me teaching her. But she actually seemed really interested and was learning. I guess her brain could actually figure a few things out. After each page I'd ask if she's okay and any questions.

 Sometimes she did, other times not. "So, do you get all of this? It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it, just memorize each translation and conjugation, with that it's all good." I told her. 

"Yeah. You know you're a hell lot better than Mr. Shue. He doesn't know anything about Spanish. His class is so confusing." She lightly chuckled. Weirdly I lightly chuckled back. 

"I know, I'm fluent but oh my gosh his teaching is a disgrace to the language. It was probably the only spot open at the time. Remember the 'la cucaracha' last week?" I replied. Why are we now laughing and talking?

 "I'm literally scarred for life. So disturbing, everyone looked so scared. See, like that's what he does in class. He's a good glee club teacher but definitely not a good Spanish teacher."

 "Exactly. And Brittany, you actually understand and are kinda good with the subject. Like it's easy to remember and you get it. I feel that in every class, the teachers and the way they teach affect how people understand it. If you're not a good teacher, the students don't understand it. But if you're a good teacher, it's simple." Why the hell did I just compliment her and think about her in that way? 

"Yeah, like honestly if you taught the class, I think everyone would be doing great. Like you know it because you're fluent and I'm guessing you've been fluent since you were little. But for people like me who are just learning the subject, it's hard to comprehend." 

"Yeah, I don't blame you. People aren't doing well in that class and since I know it I'm like oh they're dumb. You get the subject, like you're actually kinda good and pick up Spanish quickly. You just need someone to explain it, then it's completely fine. I told her. Why do I like this conversation? 

"Yeah. We have 1 more page left so let's just do it." She said. What was that conversation? We were talking and laughing together? She's actually kinda nice and might have more than half a brain cell. I checked the time, over an hour. We finished the page. 

"Oh, we went over the time." I stated.

 "Well these packets are really long. Oh here's your pen." She replied. 

"Well, bye." I figured she could just walk home. We made some weird eye contact. " I guess we have to do this tomorrow. Ugh. This is gonna be an awful punishment, literally ugh." I told her then went upstairs.

 "Bye. Thanks again." She smiled. 

"Whatever." I shrugged. She's really pretty. I hate her, right? Why did I force myself to say these insults after the torturing session? Quinn texted me.

Q: How'd it go with that loser?

Me: actually fine ig

Q: wait rly u didn't rip each other's faces off?? Omg

Me: Somehow not. It was awkward tbh

Q: Well obviously... Do you hav it Monday?

Me: I think. She tries 2 make small talk. It's odd. But let's 100% hit the mall tmr

Q: Yas

Brittany's pov

—-----------------------------------

We actually had an enjoyable conversation. I was nice to her. And she was nice to me. She complimented me and called me smart. She always calls me dumb. 

Then there was this eye contact and I don't know. She was beautiful like not a single flaw, she's perfection. She's nice when she isn't a complete bitch to me.

 I was stupid enough to think that after 1 conversation we'd be friends, we even went over the time. 

But in the end she was still a bitch. I was an idiot for thinking we were actually gonna be okay with each other.