CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Eleanor opened her eyes. She felt chilled and then confused. Someone was pounding on her bedroom door. Someone was shouting. 

    ‘Eleanor, open this door at once!’

    She sat up and swung her limbs off the bed.

    ‘Eleanor, if you do not open this door immediately I will break it down!’

    Eleanor blinked. The voice sounded like that of Major Warburton, but what on earth could he be about?

    ‘Eleanor, I warn you...’

    Eleanor reached the door and drew it open wide.

    ‘It is not locked, sir,’ she exclaimed in surprise. ‘What is the to-do? Is there a fire?’

    His tall bulky form filled the doorway. His face was red and his expression showed intense anger. Eleanor wondered at the source of it.

    ‘I am not surprised you hide yourself away here,’ he snarled. ‘You have much to answer for.’

    ‘What?’ Eleanor blinked, startled at his vehemence. ‘Major Warburton, why are you shouting at me in this unseemly manner?’ she asked. ‘Have you been drinking?

    He pushed passed her and strode into the room without answering, and then turned to face her, his expression dark.

    ‘Eleanor, I demand a full explanation of your underhanded conduct now!’

    Eleanor was both bewildered and astonished.

    ‘How dare you burst into my bedroom in this outrageous way,’ she cried out, irritated at his boorishness. ‘It is insufferable!’

     She could hardly believe it of him. It was not the actions of a gentleman.

    ‘Do not bandy words with me, woman,’ he bellowed. ‘You have betrayed my kindness and the kindness of my family.’

    Eleanor stared at him, totally confused. He must be drunk to behave in this way.

    ‘Sir, I am at a loss to understand your meaning. You are either drunk or mad.’

    ‘Do not pretend with me,’ he sneered. ‘You know full well what you have done. Have you no shame; no pinch of guilt? You...you...Jezebel!’

    Eleanor took a step back in open-mouth shock at the unwarranted epithet. For a moment she was stunned and then anger rose.

    ‘What did you call me?’ she burst out at him, waves of hot blood rushing to her head. ‘How dare you!’

    ‘Jezebel!’ he shouted again.

    ‘Ooh!’ Anger was pounding in her temples and in her head as she stared wide eyed at him.

    ‘I will not tolerate this drunken behaviour,’ she burst out, her eyes flashing. ‘Get out of my room.’

    ‘I am not drunk,’ he yelled. ‘I am outraged at your betrayal.’

    ‘Leave my room at once I tell you,’ Eleanor cried out. ‘Else I must call a footman to come to my aid.’

    ‘Oh, yes, of course,’ he shouted. ‘You have the footmen wrapped around your little finger, too. I should not be surprised.’