Wolves of the Beyond: Break Away

Wolves of the Beyond (c) Kathryn Lasky

OC's (c) HiddenWolf

Quotation (c) Robert Ingersoll

                                                                   Wolves of the Beyond

                                                                            Break Away

           In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaves fleeted across Numee's ebony pelt. Her long silhouette cast its shadow across the expansivemoorland she ran. It was late in the season of colored leaves and snow was soon to come. Finding a suitable mate had been hard for Numee back in the spring time and now she was paying for it by having a late litter. Her pups would be tagged as malcadhs and sent to their utter demises at the tummfraw. The laws of her clan, the MacHeath, were utterly ridiculous, as were the Codes the great Fengo wrote long ago. She wouldn’t allow the odd rituals of the wolf clans to steal away her pups. Blood would be shed, tooth and claws would clash, a life would be lost before these pups were taken.

Suddenly an over whelming pain struck her body, convulsions occurred throughout her body. ‘There… coming…’

“Not yet.. please for Lupus sake.. Don’t come yet.” Numee pleaded to herself, using her strength to hold back. They were in an open place, vulnerable to the elements, to the shear ice cold winds, open to an attack from a hungry cougar or rouge bear. A weak mother wolf and newborn pups were easy pickings from scavengers and desperate animals. However the agony was just too unbearable to resist for a prolonged time and she collapsed to the ground.

An hour or two went by and finally Numee gave birth to a healthy baby she – pup; however the next pup wasn’t so lucky. It was a tiny little male with one eye. Besides the deformation in his face, both were fine. The she pup took looks from both her mother and father. Her pelt was very black, like the darkest starless night in the coldest of winters. The brown marks along her feet and face looked like fresh splotches of mud. And her underbelly was fuzzy with white fur, soft and velvety. Her brother on the other hand was a handsome young pup that looked a lot like Numee’s grandfather. His brilliant little white coat was soft much like his sisters and had some kind of alluring essence to it that made it glow in the moonlight. It looked a lot like vast rolling hills of white snow. Numee affectionately licked their heads and motioned them closer to her belly where they began to suckle gently. “Your both perfect.. just perfect.”

“I’ll name you my little she pup. Adrina which means ‘happiness’; for the joy you have brought me. And you my strong little boy I’ll call you, Lior which means ‘my light’; for the light you’ve brought me in these dark times.” She smiled sweetly, nuzzling their sides. ‘Only if Remiel could be here… he’d be so proud.’ Numee looked back in the direction that she had come from. Leaving her mate, her siblings and parents had been the hardest thing she had to do but it was for the good of the pups and for the good of the clan. Sighing to herself, she wrapped her soft gray tail around her pups and escaped to the realm of dreams. Though while the new pups and there mother rested, on the outskirts of the moorland hidden in away in the brush was a new prescence. Dark auburn eyes glinting with interest....

AN: Cliff hangers! Yay! .... Anyways this is my first story on Wattpad and I hope to update frequently c: If you like become a fan, add to your library, or leave a comment below. Thanks to all in advance. Also if you don't know what story this is it is Wolves of the Beyond. A newer series by Kathryn Lasky that you probably know better as the author of Guardians of Ga'hoole. Also the wolf in this picture is Numee.