CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter twenty-four: the miracle

     WAKING UP IN AN EMPTY HOSPITAL ROOM, Kate Wallace immediately forced open her eyes and studied the surrounding area

     WAKING UP IN AN EMPTY HOSPITAL ROOM, Kate Wallace immediately forced open her eyes and studied the surrounding area. Although she tried to move upwards, her muscles were painfully sore. Heaving several heavy breaths, the girl grew into a panic. She could barely see. She could barely hear. She could barely move.

She couldn't remember anything.

"Oh my god, she's awake."

The blonde girl didn't notice the short nurse standing at the end of her bed until her muffled voice sounded through her ears.

"Hello?" Kate asked the woman, her raspy voice coming out in a quiet plead. "What's going on? Who are you?"

"Don't worry, you're going to be okay," the nurse assured her, racing towards the door. "I'll go get the doctor."

In a matter of minutes, the small nurse returned with a male doctor, who towered over the both of them.

"How are you feeling, Kate?" his low voice asked.

Blinking away at her blurred vision, Kate ignored his question and instead asked, "How long have I been here?"

Hesitating for a few moments, the doctor quietly replied, "About two days now."

Two days.

"Where am I?"

"You're at Hawkins Memorial Hospital. You have suffered from several bodily injuries, including severe head trauma. Do you know your name, dear?"

"My name...my name..." Kate repeated, her breaths deepening. "My name is Kate Wallace."

"Good," the doctor replied, jotting down a few notes. "Whats the last thing you remember, Kate?"

As her mind whirred in thought, the girl desperately tried to answer the man. But, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't grasp onto a single memory of what happened. It was like her mind had been completely reset, rid of all previous memories.

"I don't...I don't remember anything," Kate began, her voice shaking in panic. "Why don't I remember anything?"

"Okay, just calm down-"

"I'm not going to calm down!" Kate defended. "Where are my parents? I want to see my parents!"

"Your parents both perished in the earthquake, Kate," the doctor informed her. "I'm so sorry."

"What?" Kate asked, her voice squeaking out in panic. "No, no, no...that's not true. They're alive."

"I'm sorry, Kate."