Chapter Twelve: Thunder and BOOM!

I watched him, I watched as he paced restlessly, ripping his hand through his hair. He was definitely not what you would call…a flower child.

I laid calmly, hands behind my head on the hotel bed.  It was quite entertaining to observe him fretting over nothing…in my opinion that is.

“Calm your farm,” I serenaded in an almost ghostlike voice.

His dull eyes whipped over to me. I shuttered, and hurriedly brought myself to sit back up.  

“With you around, I don’t think I can ever be calm.” Daemon retorted harshly.

I lowered my gaze. He was trying to make me feel guilty. “Look, it wasn’t my…”

“It was your fault!” he snapped back, pulling the colossal bed closer.

My eyes were stained with shock. I had been with him for about three days, and I’ve learnt something…don’t peeve him off. I still don’t think I’ve tried it yet though.

I spluttered, in his face. This for anyone else would be instant execution.

“What’s wrong now?!” he seethed, rolling his dull eyes.

“Your breath…” I spluttered again. “It’s polluted.”  

Tears welled in my eyes. His on the other hand looked as if they were about to fall out of their sockets.

“…You know what!” he announced, a bewildered look still on his pale face. “I thought you would need a day to relax, but it seems your fine. So you’re going to learn how to ride.”    

“…You were going to let me relax?” I muttered softly, disappointment settling on my face.

Was going to,” he recapped with enjoyment. “Now come on, we don’t have all day.”

“Now you’re happy,” I mumbled, as I followed him out of the room. “It’s always when im pissed or miserable.”

“That’s because your misery makes me happy.”

“I wasn’t actually talking to you,”

“I know, that’s why I responded to you.”

“Yet when I was being chased by a horde of vicious monsters you didn’t answer!”

“I did, just in time actually.”

“…That’s not the point, you should have just stayed.” I pouted.

He seemed to get the picture that, I wasn’t use to all this crazy shit.

“Scarlet, that was something that I actually regret happening okay?” he whispered sincerely. “Now I’m going to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

It was almost scary how sincere he was being, I was tempted to even agree it was my fault for the creepy kidnapping incident.

“Though it would be easier if you weren’t so danger prone, but there’s no cure for that.”

I knew that it was too good to be true. I couldn’t help but smirk at him. He raised an eyebrow and I just walked past.

“So why are we here?” I asked drowsily. I hadn’t slept at all today. I didn’t know how much of this underworld mumbo-jumbo I could take.  

We had gone around the back of our hotel. It wasn’t much more attractive than the front. Tree’s or should I say naked twigs, black and burnt. Same with the shrubs.

No grass at all, just hard compressed ash, which had visibly been there a while. However, it had a feel about it. Some of the ashes seemed to dance in the air, but how?

There was no wind, not even a slight breeze. Barely anything, I was surprised I wasn’t gasping at the lack of air here. Yet the ashes still floated and drifted around our heads.

“Cause this is where they are.” Daemon responded, looking mindlessly around this ash pit.

“You looking for ya heart?” I mocked, leaning against a black twig.

He halted and turned his body at me in a sharp and discomforting angle.

“Ha ha, you’re really funny,” he muttered sarcastically. “And for your information, I’ve never had a heart.”

“So you’re like a handicapped-super-undead-thing?”

“…just shut up, please.”

“Well I could’ve been relaxing instead of…”

“Oh just get over it!”

A shriek trembled the ash covered ground. I crumpled to my knees, but of course mister perfect barely even shook. Shadowed silhouettes began to form in front of the handicapped mister perfect.

“Meet Thunder and Boom.” Daemon serenaded, patting on one of them on the neck.

“What are they…?”

“They are what the local’s call Doom Stallions, or you could just say they’re really enormous and black horses.”

“Why is one of them called Boom?”

“It’s the sound thunder makes.” He smirked. “Now get on his back.”

“WHAT?!”

“Calm yourself, he won’t hurt you…”

“You didn’t sound very reassuring…”

“Was I meant to?” he uttered mockingly. “Here just grab his back, and I’ll push your ass up.”

“You are joking right?”

“About the ass part yes, I would never touch that.”

“I’m not sure if I should be happy or offended?” I grumbled, placing my hand on Thunder…or was this Boom?

Its fur almost seemed to be mist. Dark, icy, velvety mist, covering its dark, strong figure.

“Be both for all I care, now ready?”

I softly griped its iced misty coat and nodded. He lifted my leg off the ground until I was literally on its back. But he was pushing me too far, and before I could say something or even grip onto something, I went over the other side.

Not long after, I met with the black ground again. A cloud of ashes fumed up. It was like the nuclear reactor meltdown in Chernobyl.  And that town is still dead to this day.

“Did I really have to tell you to swing your leg over?” Daemon sighed, pulling me to my ash coated feet. “We gonna try this again?”

“Sounds great!” I spat. Somehow ashes even crept into my mouth.

He pushed me up again, and I took his advice and swung my leg over Boom’s or Thunder’s back.

“Which horse is…?” I began to ask, but this time I had just lost my concentration, and balance. Making me descend to the ashes ground.  

“Your horse is Boom okay!” he sighed irritably “I can already tell this is going to be a long afternoon.”

“Then why bother trying!?” I whined, shaking myself in a canine way, to relieve myself of some of the ash.

“This is the only way we can travel!”

“Oh…this is going to be a long afternoon then.”

He slammed his palm onto his forehead. I think that’s Daemon for, ‘oh kill my sorry ass now!’