1-4

Chapter 1: New Home (1)

“Fu Zhi pushed me!

“She just can’t stand the fact that I’m better than her! Only one of us can remain in the house. It will either be me or her!

“Mom, you have to kick her out! You have to get her back to the orphanage! I don’t want to see her again for the rest of my life!”

September was the season when the weather in their town was oppressive, and people would get irritated more easily than in the other months of the year. As she was standing outside the ward with the bill in her hand, the commotion in the room was getting clearer and clearer in Fu Zhi’s ears.

“I don’t care, Zhao Mingquan. You must send her away this time!

“In any case, I will not keep an ingrate like her in my house anymore!”

“But when we adopted Fu Zhi from the orphanage last year, we promised the director that we would take good care of her,” said the man, leaning against the bedside pitifully after shooting a glance at his daughter, whose right leg was in a cast.

After a short while, he pitched his voice low and told his sobbing wife, “Lanzhi, you should know Youyou better than anyone else. There is no way Zhizhi would push her...”

“Who told you that she wouldn’t do something like that?!” Xu Lanzhi snarled, staring indignantly at her husband for not being on their side. “Look carefully, Zhao Mingquan. Your daughter is in her sickbed right now. If Fu Zhi didn’t do it, how could your daughter possibly say that she pushed her down?”

Zhao Youyou, who was lying in her sickbed, turned her head toward her father and added indifferently, “Dad, I’m your daughter. She is just an outsider. She’s the one who tried to harm me. I don’t understand why you still want to defend her.”

“Youyou, she is your younger sister...”

“Have you ever come across a younger sister who would push her elder sister down the stairs? The doctor has said that there is a high possibility our daughter will develop complications if we don’t take care of her leg properly. This is all Fu Zhi’s fault!

“I have contacted the orphanage, and they said they will send someone to take her away today. I’m warning you to stay out of this. If you try to stop them from taking her away, I’ll divorce you.”

The woman’s voice was ear-grating, and this was undoubtedly a killer move.

Zhao Mingquan had always been a nose of wax, so he never dared to talk back to his wife. As a result, he shrank back a little and said, “Don’t say that, Lanzhi. I promise you that I won’t stop them from taking Zhizhi away...”

It had all happened roughly a year ago. At the time, his eldest son had been in need of money to pay for his university fees. Had the orphanage not told them that the government was willing to provide 200,000 yuan to the family that would take in Fu Zhi, Zhao Mingquan would not have been foolish enough to adopt someone else’s child.

As he was immersed in his own thoughts, his phone rang. He took it out, and then he froze. The director of the orphanage was calling.

He stole a glance at his wife. However, upon seeing the frigid expression on her face, he knew there was nothing he could do to change the situation anymore. Therefore, he forced himself to open his mouth and said, “Yes, we are at the town hospital right now. You can come and take her away.”

He then walked out of the room peevishly to continue speaking on the phone. Just as he was about to light a cigarette, he saw Fu Zhi, who was standing beside the door.