Chapter Seven

On Thursday, I was sitting in the café talking to Niall, who had stopped by with panic stricken on his face, and a little bit of anger carved out in his features. I was surprised to say the least, and stood up to see what all the fuss was about. There was about ten or eleven drifters around the café, sitting and drinking coffee while on their laptop, reading, or barking into a phone.

            He threw something down on the table, and my gaze followed it to see the book, Into the Wild, that I had given him. "What the hell?"

            I looked up at him and raised my eyebrows. "What?"

            "He dies?" Niall finally spat. "He does everything he's ever wanted to do, and finally realizes he needs the company of people he loves - finally gets his head of out his ass, to say the least - and he... he dies."

            I grinned so large that he cared this much and told him, "But, it's exactly that - he did what he has always wanted to do. What was seemingly impossible... he did it, on his own."

            "Bloody hell, he gets some common sense and listens to what everyone has been telling him all along and he can't make it back. That's just..." His expression turned from anger to mirror what he was about to say: "sad, I suppose."

            I laughed, and hugged him. "It's okay, baby Niall, Chris McCandless is somewhere better now."

            He chuckled and wrapped his arms around me too, pulling me closer. I smiled into his chest, and reluctantly had to pull away after I heard the door open. I looked to the door and saw Joe, my boss, and straightened up to smile and wave.

            "Hi, Joe, how are you?" I asked.

            His eyes narrowed a bit, and he nodded to the counter, as if I had to get behind it. I quickly scurried behind the counter and glanced up at him, trying to hardest to give him a sweet look.

            "What are you doing outside of the counter, hm? Better not make that a habit," Joe mumbled behind me, passing me and going in the back room.

            My eyes widened at Niall, and he smirked. "Getting in trouble, tsk tsk."

            I shot him a playful glare. "It was your fault."

            "I'm hurt," He said, putting his hands over his heart. "Anyway, what do I have to do to wipe this book from my memory? I don't want to remember one bit of it."

            Joe came back, and I started punching things into the cash register, ignoring Niall. Niall walked up to the counter and ordered a black coffee, and put a five into the tip jar and whispered, "will this get me a kiss?" and I had to bite my lip from smiling as a blush rose on my cheeks. I turned to make him coffee, thinking about how much I loved spending time with him more than I realized - or would like to admit.

            I made Niall his coffee and wrote "Blonde Irish boy" on the cup, handing it to him with a smirk. He chuckled at the 'name' and sat down next to the counter and drank his coffee, occasionally glancing over at me and making a funny face or laughing when Joe yelled at me for something that I didn't do right or up to his standards; clearly, he was in a bad mood.

            Finally, Joe left, marking his visit up to 'checking the supplies' and left me alone. Once he did, Niall hopped up on the counter and said like a diva, "If only Joe could see me now!"

            I laughed and shoved him off, and then Kate came in for her shift. I took my share of the tips and Niall walked me out, holding the door open for me and bowing like a bellboy. I laughed and walked out of the door, waiting for him while we walked down the street, towards my car down the street.