𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 8 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓

"i don't wanna die

"i don't wanna die. i sometimes wish i'd never been born at all."

─────────

El lay on the floor of the mall, sobbing in pain. Everybody was worried and scared. They've never seen El in this much pain before. Whatever was moving in El's leg moved again, and Erica asked,
"What is that?"

"There's something in there," Mike pointed out.

"No!" El yelled out in pain.

"Jesus Christ," Dustin said.

"Keep her talking. Keep her awake, okay?" Jonathan said as he ran off to get something.

"Hey, hey, hey. Stay awake, stay awake," Mike said, trying to keep her calm and not break down and cry with El. "Let's get her on this side, on this side."

They all tried helping El move up a little so she was sitting up. "Easy, easy, easy, easy," Steve said.

"It's, uh... You know, it's actually not that bad. There was a... The goalie on my soccer team, Beth Wildfire, this other girl slid into her leg, and the bone came out of her knee, six inches or something, it was insane."

"Robin."
"Yeah?"

"You're not helping."
"I'm sorry."

Jonathan came back with gloves, a knife, and a wooden spoon.

"Okay. All right, El? This is gonna hurt like hell, okay?"

"Okay," she said while sobbing.

She didn't care. She didn't give one fuck. Nothing could hurt more than what was hurting right now.

"I need you to stay real, still. Here, you're gonna wanna bite down on this, okay?" Jonathan said as he handed Mike the wooden spoon.

Mike took the spoon and put it in El's mouth as she bit down on it. Jonathan had the knife and sliced her leg a little.

El was wrong. It hurt like hell. The pain of the knife slicing her leg, everything going on. She wanted to go home. Go eat Eggos with Nina and Hopper, watch Miami Vice with Nina and Hopper... She wanted this to be over.

Jonathan put the knife down and put his fingers in her leg, trying to get whatever the hell was moving inside her.

El was screaming and sobbing, it hurt so bad. She squeezed on Mike and Dustin's hands to the point where her fingernails dug inside their skin a little. They didn't care, though. They just wanted El to be okay. Or, decent.