Chapter One

Guyana is located in the northern part of South America, it is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, Suriname to the east, Venezuela to the west and Brazil to the south.

Guyana has been colonized by several nations since the 1600s, including the Dutch, Spanish, French and English. Did you know that Guyana is the only English-speaking country on the continent of South America? Well it's TRUE, but the majority of the population do speak Guyanese Creole which is breaking down English.

As a former British colony, Guyana remained more culturally Caribbean than a South American country. Post independence, Guyana was one of the founding nations of the Caribbean Community and Common Market (CARICOM), a politico-economic union of several countries akin to the European Union.

From spectacular waterfalls and unique wildlife to tales of the lost city of El Dorado, these are the most interesting facts about Guyana.

1. Guyana is an Amerindian word which means the "land of many waters." Did you know the longest river in Guyana is the Essequibo River, which is 627 miles long? Another fun fact is that this river is ¼th the size of the Mississippi River. The Mississippi River which is 2,320 miles long.

Since we are talking about Essequibo, let's get down to some facts about Essequibo. The Essequibo River as I stated earlier is the largest river in Guyana, but also the largest river between the Orinoco and Amazon. Rising in the Acarai Mountains near the Brazil–Guyana border, the Essequibo River flows to the north for 1,014 kilometres (630 miles) through forest and savanna into the Atlantic Ocean. Did you know that 365 islands can be found along the Essequibo River?

 Did you know that 365 islands can be found along the Essequibo River?

Essequbio River 

2. Guyana is Situated Below Sea Level.

Along the foreshore of the coastal plain is a seawall, a 280-mile sea defense system that protects the plain from flooding since much of the area is below sea level by almost six feet. Along the coast is a string of sluices, or 'kokers,' built by the Dutch master builders of sea defense, that are used to control water levels and flow rates in rivers and canals during high and low tides. Construction began in 1855, with intermittent work continuing to the present day to combat erosion and occasional breaches. Over time, the seawall has become an advertisement haven and a popular hangout spot and a pastime for many Guyanese, as the wall offers a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean with lush, cool breezes. On the weekends, the wall attracts large crowds who tread the wall to relax, picnic, jog or enjoy a fête.

If there is any truth to the saying; the third time's a charm, then Christopher Columbus's third voyage to the "New World" definitely delivered one of the Caribbean's most captivating discoveries: Guyana. Columbus spotted Guyana's coast during his 1498 journey.

3. Guyana is Covered in Rainforest

About 80 percent of Guyana is covered in pristine, untouched rainforest. Did you know that Norway and Guyana signed an agreement to protect Guyana's Amazon as part of the country's Low Carbon Development Strategy (LCDS)? While the commitment ended in 2015, where it is seen Norway having paid Guyana $250M to avoid deforestation. It is the first of its kind of partnership that has paved the way for similar LCDS and non-deforestation programs between developed and developing countries. Who is up for another fun fact? Did you know, the mountain from the Disney movie Up was inspired by Mount Roraima, which is the highest peak of the tepui plateau in South America where the borders of Venezuela, Brazil and Guyana meet. Composed of Precambrian rocks, this tabletop mountain houses several waterfalls with Venezuela's Angel Falls being the highest uninterrupted waterfall with a height of 979 meters (3,212 feet). I am pretty sure most of you didn't know that and to be honest, neither did I. I came across that information when I was doing research for my book. I decided to add it.