20.2

The last hour went by in a blur. I scrambled all the money in my wallet for a taxi to the hospital, and Chloe spent a long time talking to the doctor and nurses. Now, she is talking to her mother. Wanting to give her some privacy, I linger in the hallway, glancing in her direction every so often.

Chloe was already crying earlier in the day thanks to my mother, and now, she's crying even more for hers. I let out a frustrated sigh. Of course, the world has to do this to the sweetest girl ever.

When I peek over at Chloe, I notice Ms. Lee gesturing at me. I force out a small smile before jogging into the room.

"H- Hello, ma'am. H- How is you?" I stutter. Chloe needs to speak Mandarin Chinese to me more; I need to practice.

Despite her teary eyes, Chloe chuckles next to me—her first smile ever since we arrived. You know what? Maybe it isn't so bad that my Chinese speaking skills suck.

"I'm doing fine." Ms. Lee flashes me a big, genuine grin. "Thank you for coming, Ruijun."

"How, uh, happened?"

"I just fell. It's my own carelessness, don't worry about it."

"It's not your carelessness!" Chloe snaps, a pout forming on her lips. "It's your building's fault! All stairs need to have a visual contrast at the step! That's the bare minimum they should do for people!"

Ms. Lee shakes her head. "No need to do all that just for me."

"So many people have low vision, it's not just you. And it's hard for everyone to see at night. And how hard can it be? It's just painting the floors! Argh, I cannot stand these inaccessible buildings."

Sighing, Ms. Lee gives me a look that seems to say, There she goes again.

I reach out to give Chloe's hand a squeeze. "Everything... good now? No need for..." I trail off, not knowing how to say any medical terms in Chinese.

"Thankfully, there are no internal injuries," Chloe replies, but her frown intensifies. "But she fractured her left wrist."

"It's a small fracture," Ms. Lee dismisses. "And I'm right-handed, so this isn't a big issue."

"Of course it is! It's going to take weeks to heal, Māma!"

Chloe's hand is beginning to tremble, so I tighten my grip on it to calm her down.

Ms. Lee chooses to change the subject. "It's been so long since I've seen you, Ruijun. Do you want to stay over at our place for dinner later?"

Nodding, I am about to proclaim my excitement over her home-cooked food in broken Chinese when the doctor knocks on the door. Apparently, Ms. Lee needs one last check-up.

Chloe and I leave the room. The moment we step into the hallway, we collapse onto the chairs along the wall, exhausted and drained.

Chloe slumps her head on my shoulder.

"What a day, huh," I mutter in English, wrapping my arm around her.

"The worst."

I sigh. "How much was this?"

Her face falls with that question. She does not answer me. Instead, she laughs and says, "Is it bad that I wish I'd taken your mother's money now?"

I don't know what to say to that. It would be a good time to have tons of money to spare right now, but I do not want to go near my mother again.

"I could call Jon for help?" I offer.

"They've all helped enough lah." Chloe sits up, staring at her hands so intensely as if she was reading her palms. "RJ... I... I've thought about it."