Ch 48: Emperor's Substitute

It's been a week since the emperor had lost his consciousness and the two princess didn't leave the emperor's room since then causing Lily and Felix to worry.

"It's already been a week." Lily mumbled looking at the princesses who's currently writing a letter. "They won't leave his majesty's room at all."

"What is the princesses doing right now?" Asked by Felix observing the two.

"They're writing rejection letters for all the party invitations they've received." Lily answered, she still couldn't help but to be worried at their situation.

"Rejection letters?"

"Yes, they've been inviting the princesses in their parties, and they've been receiving more than usual." She explained.

"It's probably because of the rumors." He uttered enough for Lily to hear, Lily gave her a questioning look as he started to explain. "There have been rumors going around that his majesty is seriously ill."

"The people who have heard the rumors want to ask the princesses to see if they're true."

"What? Isn't his majesty's condition a top secret?"

"Yes, it is, but.." He paused for a moment looking at the two who's now talking to each other, he then looked at Lily continuing. "It seems that the word is traveling fast."

"That's why we need to the princesses."

"Lily, Felix." Ambrosia called coming out from the room followed by her sister. "Something is strange."

"We think news of daddy's illness has gotten out." Athanasia answered.

"How did you-"

"Because the recent letters keep mentioning daddy." Ambrosia said giving them the letters. "It sounds like they're trying to get clues out of us."

"That's right and.. we're pretty sure daddy's condition isn't known by just anyone."

"As expected of the princesses, you realized it." Both of the princess looked at them with a questioning expression.

"I was struggling on how to bring it up to you but.." He paused for a moment hesitating.

"Bring up what?" Ambrosia raised an eyebrow waiting for him to continue.

"There was a time when his majesty was sick like this." He continued. "Back then we were able to keep it a secret, so there weren't any problems."

"But things are a little different now that the nobles have found out."

"Once they realize that his majesty is in poor health they will rise and voice their dissatisfaction." He looked at them seriously with a sigh. "Having the leader of our nation's politics absent puts the empire in a though position."

"In that case someone will have to act as his majesty's substitute and take over."

"One of you will have to take over his majesty's duties."

***

"One of you will be the emperor?" Says by Lucas leaning on the sofa.

"Not the emperor, The emperor's substitute!" Athanasia huffed.

"Oh, so the both of you will be the emperor's substitute?"

"Not yet!"

"And? What seems to be the problem?" He asked raising an eyebrow.

"We can't decide who will take papa's duties." Ambrosia answered.

"What? Your sister is older than you for like a minute, but then you're more mature than your sister." He shrugged.