Second Chances

He's my best friend, best of all best friends

            Do you have a best friend too?

            It tickles in my tummy, he is so yummy yummy

            Hey, you should get a best friend too

            my best friend!

            Ugh! I stared at my phone….actually more like glared at it. If looks could kill then well you could kiss that phone good-bye. Why was he calling? I thought he said he never wanted to see my face again. All I did tell him that I like him. What’s wrong with confessing to your crush even if he’s you’re best friend?

            Oops. Let me introduce myself. I’m Lillian Chan. But everyone calls me Lily. Although I do not believe in stereotypes, I sadly am one. I am the typical straight A shy Asian. Oh not to mention my love life is pretty stereotypical too. You’ve probably seen those stories where the girl falls for her best friend? Yeah that’s me.

            For some reason I have the hugest crush on my best friend, Will. Now I know every girl would say that they have the “hugest crush” on well their crush. However, I am serious when I say mine is huge. I’m not obsessive or anything but, I have liked the guy for almost three years now. As you can assume from earlier, I confessed to the guy and well things did not go quite as planned.

            It was a normal Friday school day, when I decided to tell Will. However, I couldn’t find him anywhere during brunch and lunch. Sure, I saw him in math and PE but that’s just not the place for a confession. Thankfully, or at least at the time I was thankful, I saw him after school walking to the student parking lot. So I ran up to him and asked if I could talk to him for a moment. We walked over to the benches on the sidewalk and sitting down he asked me what was up. To which I began my confession. Sadly, since it was my FIRST confession, I beat around the bush and stuttered. Summing it up though, I told him and he…he rejected me. He said, “I can’t return your feelings because I like another girl.” Of course I completely understand after all I knew he didn’t like me in that way. I just wanted to tell him how I felt.

            Naturally, I was sad that he did not feel the same however, what really broke my heart was what he said afterwards. These are the exact words he told me in a cold voice, “Lily I don’t think we should see each other again…in fact I never want to see you again.” You do not know how many emotions ran through my head. I felt depressed, frustrated, shocked, and most of all angry. How could he throw away ten years of friendship!? Throw it all away just because I like him. Surely, things wouldn’t be the same but to just throw it all away. All of the memories we shared together? All of the secrets and misshapes we went through together?

            Glancing at my phone, it finally stopped ringing. I stared at it trying to decide whether I should call him back. Find out what he wants. A few seconds went by. Taking another glance at my phone, I grabbed it and was about to flip it open when I started to laugh. My phone had just started to ring once again. Will…he’s relentless. Maybe I’ll give him another chance. I just won’t let him too close to my heart, put him on probation. As I laughed at myself, I opened the phone and immediately he began to speak in a rushed voice, trying to mend the friendship of ours that had been damaged.

I guess the lesson that I learned is that people deserve second chances. Sometimes we can overreact in certain situations and the reactions we give are not the best or sometimes what we are actually feeling. You cannot just close off your heart to a person just because of one incident. If you do, things won’t work out and what could’ve been will never be