Chapter Eight

Two uploads in two days. And this chapter is lonnnng.

You are welcome.:*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day flew by but in a good way. A couple people wished me a happy birthday but it stayed on the down low, which I was okay with. I never need to draw more attention to myself than what I already have.

I walked home happily, nervous and excited for tonight. This was technically my first date with Jesse. I don’t want to screw it up. I looked to my right and saw that I was already standing next to my house. My adrenaline must have kicked in and made me speed walk, whoops.

I let myself in only to discover I was home alone. I grabbed some cheez-its from the pantry and strode upstairs. Minute by minute my small ounce of confidence was slipping away. What if I wore the wrong thing or I said the wrong thing? There were so many things that could go wrong.

I needed someone to talk to.

I sucked in a breath; I looked in my contact list for the one person who had always been there if I needed it- my cousin, Bri.

She is the only person that knows about my cuts. She would let me cry on her shoulder when I needed to when Ellie had pushed me too far. She was my rock for a long time.

We hadn’t talked since the huge fallout I had with her mom who, along with everyone else, blamed me for Ellie’s death. It happened right after the accident and Bri and I lost contact as well.

 I hoped more than anything that she’d answer.

I clicked the call button and my heart began pounding in my chest. The phone rang a couple times and I began to regret my decision. I was about to end the call, I was being stupid, why would she answer? She’d always had a good life, no complications, no issues. Why would she want to deal with my problems?

But then, I heard her voice, “Alyssia?” her voice was filled with disbelief.

“Bri?” I asked quietly, my breath caught in my throat.

“Is this seriously you? Oh my gosh. How are you? I’ve missed you so much.” She said with so much conviction, I actually believed it.

“I’m getting through. Look, I know we haven’t talked in a while but I really need some girl help tonight. I didn’t know who else to turn to… And I have missed you so much too Bri” I said with tears brimming my eyes.

“I’ll be over right away. Need me to bring anything?” She asked sweetly.

“My boyfriend is taking me out on a date tonight and I need something nice… I mean… Don’t worry about it if you don’t w-“

She cut me off, “Boyfriend? Girl, we have so much to catch up on. I’ll bring you a couple things over. I’ll see you soon!” She spoke, excitement clear in her voice.

She was about to hang up when I stopped her, “Hey B,” I said, remembering how we used to call each other by our first initials.

“Yeah A” I smiled, happy she said it back.

“He doesn’t know about them.” I knew she would know what I was talking about. She knew I always kept my cuts secret. This way she knew to bring something that would cover them.

“Okay. I’ll see you in thirty.” She paused, “I’m glad you called.”

“Me too.”

About 30 minutes later I saw her black soft top jeep pull up through my window. She got out of the car and grabbed a couple bags from the back seat.