Chapter One

I gasped waking up as I lay on the gym floor I looked around slightly confused about what had happened to me and why I was laying on the gym floor, I got up and looked around there was no one in site all the gym equipment was laying on the floor which worried me. Mr. and Mrs. Carlisle never left the equipment in a mess like this I rubbed my head as I made my way toward the changing rooms I grabbed my stuff, I noticed the changing room was a mess as well I leaned against my locker and bit my lip worried I heard crying which made me walk toward the showers. I noticed Katie my friend was crying curled up in the corner I went over to her and pulled her up she was still in her gym clothes, I looked at her as she grabbed on to me hugging me tightly I hugged her back and looked around I was worried. I looked at her as we made our way to her locker and she grabbed her stuff we just stayed in our gym stuff as we made our way through the school, we quickly noticed some of the students were laying on the ground and some were groaning quite angrily. Katie and I quickly moved toward the doors walking outside we noticed the streets were wrecked cars smashed up, paper laying on a lot of things were messed up Katie looked at me scared I just bit my lip then took in a breath as I made my way down the steps of the school.

Katie followed me keeping close to me each step I took she took the same I tried to think as I grabbed my phone and tried to call my brother, but of course nothing but keeping the line was dead I went to a phone box trying to call out, but the line was dead as well. I looked at Katie wondering what should we do I noticed a group of people walking extremely slowly around I pointed to Katie then pressed my fingers to my lips, as they looked extremely pale and unsafe we noticed they were coming toward us so we quickly climbed up a tree and watched as they passed. A cold shiver went up my back as I couldn't believe what was going on, Katie looked at me then climbed back down when she knew it was safe I climbed back down with her as I looked around we quickly made our way toward the park it was a quick way to get to my house. We noticed more people were getting on weird so we kept to a slightly fast pace, we soon seen some children in the playground which looked like the adults my eyes filled with tears as I began to fear the worst. Katie grabbed me and we began to run as we left the park I noticed my father's car was crashed into a tree I went toward it then stopped, I noticed my father was like one of those pale horrible people Katie pulled me with her down an alleyway which was a part of the quick way to my house. I looked at Katie upset as I had just seen my father was one of those monsters she just hugged me as we kept walking, we noticed that Katie's street was full of the pale people so we went around the back of the houses then out onto my street which only had a few that were laying on the ground groaning.

"I think your house might be the best idea Mia since my street is full of those things," she said

I nodded "I think your right let's go," I said as I quickly went to my house

I unlocked the door and walked inside with Katie I closed the door quickly locking it again as I checked the house it was empty of course, I checked that all windows and doors were locked and I grabbed a drink from the fridge for Katie and I she looked at me knowing something was wrong.

"Mia are you alright?" she asked

"I-I think so," I said looking down as tears rolled down my cheeks "my dad is one of those things what are they?" I said

she shook her head looking at me "I don't know I woke up in changing room like you found me everything is a mess" she told me "I don't get it for everyone else to be infected or something how come we aren't?" she asked

"I don't know but whatever the heck is going on it's not funny" I said as I walked to the window and pulled the curtains "I want my parents to be okay I want to know if my brother is even alive and Alex my boyfriend is he even alive" I said as I slid down the all in tears

"Mia," Katie said as she came over to me and pulled me close hugging me tightly "everything will be okay" she reassured me.

I heard the front door rattle then open the door slammed shut and locked again I sat forward and so did Katie to see who it was I smiled and got up quickly running to my brother and hugged him tightly, he hugged me tightly as he broke down crying I looked at him smiling as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"hey you're okay," I said hugging him

"I saw mom," he said looking at me "she is one of them," he told me

"What?" I looked shocked "great mom and dad are those things"

"Mia we need to make sure this house is safe enough for us to stay in until help comes" Katie said looking at us "I am sorry about your parents, but you have a little brother to look out for now"

I looked at Matthew as I knew Katie was right I had to protect my brother now since he was the only family I had left I went and started moving things around so that I knew the house was going to be safe, I looked over at my upset little brother who was in tears I sighed then went over to him handing him a picture of us all together. I then helped Katie move more things around so that we could all sleep in the same room just in case something happened, I then went into the kitchen and made us all something to eat I went back to the living room and put the plates down as I closed all the curtains but only left a slit on each to keep an eye out. I kept the lights to a down low which was a good thing because as it began to get dark more of the pale-faced people shown up, I looked at Katie as she peeked out the slit we noticed how quickly the monsters seemed to show up at night. I looked at my brother as he began to fall asleep so I thought maybe it was time to go to sleep for us all, but I knew someone would have to keep watch in case something happened, so I let Katie and Matthew go on to sleep and I stayed awake and kept watching holding my brothers bat and a knife in my other hand. It was all I could do I kept near the front door because I could see right through till the back door the way I was sitting, I looked over to check on my brother and friend giving them a soft smile even though they had fallen asleep. I turned all the lights off and just waited and kept watch I took in a breath trying to keep myself awake, the groaning from the things outside just kept going but soon I couldn't keep myself awake much longer and I dozed off.