Higher Heights

Jazmine POV-

"DJ we need to talk." I said wrapping my robe further around me.

"You're right. Sorry to interrupt your love making session but this is important." He got off the couch.

"DJ." I sighed and moved my hair out my face.

"Hear me out. I've noticed that maybe I've been too involved in your relationship with August. And me being the mother lion I am, I can take it overboard. Might of fact, I've been involved in your life a little too much period. So much so, that it's really making me unhappy. I'm 28. I haven't achieved any of my dreams because I've been making sure you were okay and I don't regret that. But an opportunity came my way and if I don't go after it, I never will. You'll have babies, a husband, a career and I'll be living vicariously through you. I don't want that so I'm moving."

"Moving?" I unfolded my arms.

"Yeah to New York. Brandy's people through some stretch of the imagination contacted me and told me she's working on a tour. And wants me to be her designer."

"That's great DJ. When are you leaving?"

"Tonight. They need me there tomorrow morning. I just wanted to say goodbye. But from the sounds of things, you won't even realize I'm gone." He wiped tears from his eyes. "So sorry for always fucking up your life. That was never my intent. I was just doing what I thought any good friend would do. But now that I'm gone you don't have to worry about that anymore."

"DJ I never thought that it's just... Why didn't you tell me?"

"They called literally right after our little fight and I took that as a sign. That it's time for me to let you go and move to higher heights on my own. You can visit me. Leave thug-a-boo here, but you can visit me. When I get settled I'll give you my address and stuff."

"DJ I'm sorry." I grabbed him into a hug and broke down.

"It's not you Jazz. It's me. I have to do this for me." He patted my back.

"Can you wait a week? I have to find a new assistant. I mean--"

"I already found you a new assistant. They'll be there Monday. But let me go so I can finish packing. Oooo girl the big apple and them fine New York men calling me. Maybe I can find me a Biggie. You know I like em big."

We laughed.

"Love you girl." He hugged me one last time and kissed my cheek.

"Love you more." I hugged him tight.

And just like that he was gone. My bestfriend and everything I knew was gone.

I laid in my bed and cried until
I didn't have any tears left.

What have I done?

August POV-

"What did the Chicken say when it laid a square egg?"

Jazmine looked at me unamused.

"Ouch!" I laughed obnoxiously hard.

"Baby that was funny laugh."

She turned away from me. We were laying in her bed and she had been moping and crying all day because DJ was gone. And she blamed herself.

"Jazmine you acting like the Nigga died. He in another state. You can visit him anytime."

She ignored me.

"Jazmine." I wrapped my arms around her and brought her into my body. I laid my chin on her cheek.

"Jazz, why you punishing me tho? I ain't do nothing."

"Really August? I'm hurting and you're thinking about sex?" She eyed me.

"Sex can heal."

She pushed me off of her.

"Go home." She sat up.

I laid on my back, with my hands behind my head looking at her.

"Why?"

"Because you're annoying me. And I'm not in the mood for your ignorance."

"How am I being ignorant?"

"You didn't come over here to comfort me, you came over here to have sex."

"First off that's not true. I missed a studio session to come here. I cooked for you. Took your car to get a car wash. And I picked your clothes up from the cleaners. Now this is August Alsina doing this. A celebrity." I tried to make a joke.

She rolled her eyes and laid back down.
I took my finger and flipped her lips like a little kid.

"Stop."

I ignored her. She bit my finger.

"Oww." I examined my finger.

"DJ's going to go to New York and become best friends with Brandy and forget about me." She sighed.

"Your head is so big nobody can forget it if they tried. So I doubt it."

"I'm not laughing August. He was always there for me and I wasn't for him. So he left. Trying to balance you two was so hard. You're the most important men in my life. And I didn't want to lose one for the other." She wiped her nose with Kleenex.

"I wonder Who even suggested his name tho?"

I cleared my throat.

"You did!?" She sat up.

"D is friends with Brandy's manager and he just mentioned she was looking for a stylist. I suggested DJ."

"You were trying to get rid of him weren't you?"

"Not totally. I remember you saying he gave up working with Kelly so I was thinking about him. And...us."

"Why would you do that? Knowing he would have to leave me." She broke down.

" jazz that's selfish. To expect him to put his life and dreams on hold to be up
Under you."

"But that's my bestfrannnnn!" She laid on my chest.

"I know it's sad for all of us." I patted her back.

She gave me a straight face. "You're not sad."

"I am. Just a tad bit. But I tell you what." I brought her face to mine. "I'm not DJ but I'm going to take care of you like he would. And whenever you want to see him, let me know, I'll buy your ticket."

"Thanks baby." Tears fell. "It's just hard. It's so sudden and I love him a lot."

I kissed her lips.

"I'll stay for as long as you need me."

"Okay." She wiped her eyes.

"Love you."

"Love you too."