A Secret

Alonzo's POV:

Everyone was overjoyed to welcome Annamae Clarice Travis, our second baby girl. But despite all the happiness, there was also heartache. The health of Jade's father was deteriorating quickly. Unfortunately, we were unable to heal him; we could only control his discomfort.

He needed his medication refilled, so I volunteered to drive him into town because I needed to get some supplies for the ranch. Before entering the master bedroom, where Jade was keeping an eye on Annamae and sleeping, I gave Arabella a kiss on the cheek.

"Are you off?" Jade asked.

"Yes, darling," I said. "Are you two going to be alright?"

"I have your parents if I need anything while you're gone," Jade said, looking up at me.

I leaned down and put my lips against Jade's as she glanced up at me.

I said, "Okay, I'll see you gals in a few hours."

I got up and went to the truck, where Mr. Scott was waiting for me after I had exited the bedroom. I got into my truck, turned the key, and eventually took off.

The lengthy drive allowed for eerie silence to envelop Mr. Scott and me. I inhaled deeply and changed the direction of my holding on the steering wheel.

So how does it feel to have two daughters? Scott enquired.

I laughed and said, "Spectacular, but I feel awful for any boy who has to come through my doorstep."

Mr. Scott said, "I'm afraid that's how it is for a father."

Again, the truck was silent.

"Have you told her yet?" Mr. Scott was curious.

I made a very tiny head turn so I could observe his expression. I chose to ignore him rather than respond to him.

"Jade will learn whether you like it or not," He said.

I turned up the volume and added, "We are nearly there."

"Alonzo, you need to let her know!" He yelled. "My daughter can't be angry with me forever!"

I stop the truck right away and park it by the side of the road. I stopped the car and looked over at him. I was quite irritated.

"I'm unable to tell her." I spat. "She is joyful at the moment! Who am I to screw up that?"

He murmured, "It is terrible not to tell her.

"I'm done hearing about this, please! We will now head into town to pick up some items, including your medication. We won't bring this up once more!" I described. "Is that understood?"

He agreed, shaking his head. I restarted the engine and drove into town.