Part IV: Plans.

Sarah woke up, grateful to find out that she was alone in bed. The cousins were probably downstairs already, preparing for lunch. Lunch!

 She checked the clock on top her bedside table. Eleven-seventeen A.M. She wanted to sleep more, but then remembered that she had a date with Jake. I am so gonna be late, she thought as she rushed to her washroom to take a half-hearted shower.

After changing into her usual rock chick get-up, she rushed down the stairs to the living room, wondering how to act in front of Kiss. I should just play it cool. She didn’t want to tell anyone not because she’s shy or embarrassed, but because she doesn’t want Quistis to be humiliated. It was a one-time thing. She wouldn’t do it again.

She passed Thea in the dining room and nodded towards her. Thea was sipping tea.

“Off to your date?” Thea said with a giddy smile. Somehow, Sarah felt that Thea was more excited about the date than she is.

“Yeah. You know, you’re too young to be drinking that stuff,” Sarah joked.

“Whatever, it’s good.”

“Where are all the others?”

“Well, your mom and dad went to work, right? Everybody else went home early, including Mom. But my Dad went with your parents to the printing office. They said they’re going to discuss some job opportunities and printing stuff; whatever those are. We could have gone home with Mom, but Kiss insisted on staying a while. So Dad told us to wait here and we’ll head home together. He probably won’t be back until later this afternoon.”

“Oh. Okay. Will you be alright with just the two of you here? There’s plenty of stuff in the fridge.”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Go on ahead.”

“Just feel at home, alright?” Sarah said as she walked towards the door leading to the lawn.

“Yeah, tell me all about it when you return!” she shouted back with a laugh.

Sarah got out of the house and saw Kiss smoking by the lawn. She was greeted with innocent eyes and that Gwyneth Paltrow smile.

“By God, Sarah! Have you any idea how beautiful you look? That bastard’s one lucky guy.”

“You thought my clothes were ridiculous,” Sarah replied. “You were staring at me like I was some alien the first time I showed up last night. And he’s not a bastard.”

“No… I just can’t believe how you grew up to be such a beautiful… I have to say you looked like a dork back then. But now… God, remember those summers? Fun, weren’t they?”

“Yes, Kiss, they were the best childhood memories I ever had,” and you ruined it.

Quistis seemed to read on to her thoughts. “Well, I won’t keep you. Take care, Sarah.”

“Thanks.” Like nothing happened.

--

Luigi’s Diner was only a bus ride away from Sarah’s house but still, as she had anticipated, she arrived fifteen minutes late for their lunch date. Twelve-fifteen.

She opened up the double-glass-doors that was the entrance to Luigi’s and scanned the tables and booths to see if Jake had already arrived. Fortunately, he still hadn’t. She walked towards an empty booth and occupied it, ordered a tall glass milk shake, and waited.

Twenty minutes and half-a-glass of milkshake have passed but still, no Jake. She considered calling him, but it’s still too early. He wouldn’t like that. He would just feel annoyed at the fact that she didn’t trust her. But I was already late for fifteen minutes! She thought she’d give him another ten. Then, as she thought about it, she realized this hadn’t happened before between them. She wondered how many relationships were ruined because of somebody’s late appearance and laughed inside her mind. Well, there’s always a first time for everything… and her mind drifted again to Quistis, and the events of last night.

When did she realize that this is what she wants? Is it just natural, did it just occur to her that ‘Hey, that gal looks so hot I wanna fuck her…’? Is it instinct? Is it hard-wired in her brain and some trigger activated something that caused her to change her sexual preference? She knew she would never understand. She remembered how beautiful Quistis was, how she could get any guy she wanted, but that was out of the question now. She wanted women. But did she like boys, too? Did she go both ways? Somehow, in all of this he found herself smiling; interested, though she didn’t know why. Perhaps her burning curiosity conquered whatever initial thoughts she had about Kiss. She’s my cousin. I’m hard-wired to be concerned. Lost in thought, she barely noticed that ten minutes have passed. Still Jake didn’t show. This is too much. I’m going to call him.

Her phone rang even before she got the chance to take it out of her jeans’ right-hand pocket. She fished it out and sure enough, Jake’s name flashed on the LCD display.

“Jake.”

“Hey, hun. Just checked to see if you’re havin’ fun.”

“What?!”

“You know, with your cousins…”

“What?” she asked again. “Is this some kind of joke? Where are you?”

“Just hanging out with my friends at home, playing some Tony Hawk with Jess. I’ve figured with you bailing out—“

“Bailing out? I never bailed out, Jake! We talked last night!”

“Oh… but I tried to call you earlier. You know, just to say hello and tell you I was on my way to Luigi’s but I couldn’t reach you on your cell, so I tried your home number. Your cousin answered it, Kiss. I’ll never forget that name ‘cause it sounds cool. Anyway, she informed me about the three of you going shopping this afternoon so I figured, it’s okay. Your cousins don’t come here very often so it wouldn’t hurt to give you as much time as possible to spend with them while they’re around. So, you havin’ f—”

Sarah pressed the ‘End’ button and pocketed the phone without even saying goodbye. She was infuriated. She stormed out of Luigi’s and took the first bus ride home.

What the fuck is her problem?! she thought, nursing pure rage in her heart  as she sat at the very back of the bus. I couldn’t believe that… that bitch!

--