Hi! So these are MY opinions. Bear in mind, I am not tech support haha. First off, if you are using the app, I can't help you. I don't like the app because it is confusing. Instead, I use the web version, either on my iPad or on my computer. It is SO much easier.
AS I GO I WILL ADD MORE TO THIS LIST. THIS IS ALSO A RANT ON WHAT NOT TO DO IN YOUR STORY:
THESE ARE MY OPINIONS. SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE.
This is my rant. I like ranting.
🔴🔴🔴 MY OPINIONS. THESE ARE MY OWN OPINIONS SO SORRY IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM. I WROTE THESE THINGS BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE ASK ME FOR MY OPINIONS ON THEIR BOOK OR SOMETHING 🔴🔴🔴
Tips in general:
1) SAVE OFTEN! I lose work all the time because my web browser quits on me.
2) Have fun. Ok, I know, cliche, but it is true: if you write about stuff that you aren't interested in or like, your story won't get anywhere. See, for me, I love 1D and stuff, so I write about them.
3) Know your topic! Don't ask me about 1D because there is so much to say. If you are going to write a 1D fanfiction, then it would be best if you knew stuff about them.
4) Try to make it as realistic as possible. Ok, I know, I know, my story's aren't realistic, but I try my hardest to make them.
5) Use spell check!!! Ok, I know, I know, I don't use it, but I have been trying my hardest to. Wattpad doesn't have spell check, so that sucks. It is fine if you mess up a couple of words here or there, but if you mess up a word in your intro or like the first couple of paragraphs, that automatically makes me stop reading.
6) Don't use slang words frequently! Try to be as formal as possible, however, you can use the slang words in dialogue, just not out of it. Does that make sense?
7) Dont use the app!! I hate it and it gets so confusing! Also, DON'T TYPE IT AND PASTE IT IN! It will change the format and spacing. Like I mention later, don't make your thing all one of two fricking paragraphs. It is horrible. I won't even start reading a book if it is all one paragraph.
8) I am not tech support. I am sick of wasting my time describing how to add a chapter. I don't know. FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF. Play with wattpad! I bet most of you didn't know about the clubs. There are clubs where people will make a cover for you, clubs where people will give feedback on your story, clubs where....
9) Don't make your cover a picture that you found off the Internet. Don't make your cover a picture of yourself. Go to the clubs and get someone to make it a cover. Try not to have 1D be the main part, or even have them in the picture at all. I think if they are in it, it makes the fanfic seem more like a fanfic then a real story, does that make sense?
10) Don't make your title soooo cliche. I know I used lyrics, but it isn't like the normal 'Carrots, One Direction...' things. Be creative! Once you pick a title, you should not change it! I would say after five days, don't change your title. What if someone liked your book but deleted the tab and then couldn't find it again?
11) DON'T COMMENT ON YOUR OWN STORY PLEASE!! If you need to say something, YOU CAN GO BACK AND EDIT IT. I NEVER comment on my story, even if I want to respond to someone, I post on their wall. I feel like it ruins the comment vote thing. It gives you a false sense of how many comments you get. But please, for the sake of god, don't comment on your story saying 'I hope you like it'
12) CLIFFHANGERS AREN'T JUST NOT FINISHING A SENTENCE. Cliffhangers are so stupid if you just end with not finishing it. Ok, I think I did this maybe once, but I will go back and change it.