Chapter 18: Pipes.

Start from the beginning

"I'll hit up my connect at the immigration center and he'll start working on it." She tells me and I nod.

"I'll send you the money right now." I tell her as I walk out of the bathroom. Heading to my room to prepare for the day, I smile to myself.

I'm finally on the path to giving my mother the life she truly deserves and my plan to get revenge on that bastard Aaron is now in motion.

***

"Ladies and gentlemen, Jasmine and Miles." I hear the host of the talent show say and Miles hands me a microphone.

"You ready?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah. Let's go with this thing." I tell him. We walk on stage and faint claps are heard. The clapping dies down and Miles lifts me up helping me sit on top of the piano. He sits on the piano stool and begins playing the intro for "Perfect For Me" by Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick.

"I know your favorite song
I hear it every day
Whoever made your smile
Made it to get in my way
And every time you laugh
You make that little sound
It's just the hardest thing
To love you, but not know how." Miles sings as he plays the piano beautifully.

"So I spend all my nights in the dark and afraid
'Cause I've tried to forget you
But these things just don't go away
I hate that you're perfect, perfect for me
If I didn't know better, then I would believe
That we were made for each other, but I'd know the truth
You're no good for me, I'm no good for you
And I hate that you're perfect, you're perfect for me
I hate that you're perfect, you're perfect for me." He continues and I have to say he is serving serious vocals right now. He's on some Chris Brown shit.

"What good are words
When they always just get in our way?
And it hurts the most just to know
That you don't feel the same, the same
So sometimes, I get down on my knees
And I pray things will change
But life is what happens when things
They don't work out our way, our way." We harmonize together.

"So I spend all my nights in the dark and afraid, hmm
'Cause I've tried to forget you
But these things just don't go away, away." I sing passionately into the mic.

"I hate that you're perfect, perfect for me
If I didn't know better, then I would believe
We were made for each other, but I'd know the truth
You're no good for me, I'm no good for you." We harmonize and Miles helps me get down from the piano. We stand in the middle of the stage before we render the rest of the song, staring into each other's eyes.

"And I hate that you're perfect, you're perfect for me. I hate that you're perfect, you're perfect for me." We sing together and end the song. When we're done, there's an uproar in the school theater and everyone starts clapping. I stare at Miles and we both laugh.

That was so scary, but we did it. We go backstage and Chanel hugs me immediately she sees me.

"That was amazing. You guys made me cry." She says, pulling away.
"And you Mr. Miles the mysterious, you have a good set of pipes." She tells him and Miles laughs.

"I'm still learning." He says, humbly.

"If that's how you sing when you're learning, I'd love to hear you when you're a professional." Chanel says and he chuckles.

"Don't mind him, he's being modest. He's applying to Julliard for college." I tell her and she gasps.

"That's huge and he's so getting in." She says, hyper.

"Um, I'm gonna go return the mics. I'll be right back." Miles tells me and I nod.

"So...you and Miles, huh?" Chanel asks me, raising her eyebrows and I roll my eyes.

"There's no 'me and miles'. We're just friends that flirt with each other occasionally. There are no strings attached here." I clarify.

"Okay, if you say so. But that performance begged to differ. You guys had some serious chemistry up on that stage." Chanel tells me.

"It was the song, trust me." I tell her.

"Yeah, I wanted to ask, why that song?" She says, folding her arms.

"Well, after my whole messy argument with Aaron, I was in my feels so at rehearsal yesterday, I begged Miles to let me change the song and he agreed. I felt like this song really captured everything I wanted to say to him." I tell her.

"Even though I hate Aaron and think he's scum, he does have his good side. But I think that in this whole situation, you guys are better off apart. And while you were singing to your estranged boyfriend, I think Miles might have been singing to you." She tells me and I shake my head.

"No way, it was just the heat of the moment." I tell her as we start walking towards the exit leading into the audience.

"Which song were you guys going to sing originally?" She asks and I giggle.

"You're gonna laugh at me, but it was Miles' idea." I tell her.

"Just tell me." She says, impatient.

"Don't cry for me Argentina." I tell her and she bursts into laughter.

"Alright now, it ain't that funny." I say, staring at her.

"Oh, but it is. You guys would have become a whole meme." She says, leaning on me. I push her off of me and keep walking forward. She trails behind me, still laughing her ass off.

"Don't act all mad." She says behind me and I ignore her.