“There you are!” My dad comes up from behind and claps me on the shoulder. “We were getting worried that you two just ditched Hayes here for the night.”

“Not that we would mind,” Mom said with a smile, “He has some of the best stories. I still can’t believe our little grandbaby is just a few weeks away from being an adult.”

“Grandma,” Hayes whines.

“What? You’re my only grandbaby!”

“Do you have to call me your grandbaby though?”

Mom huffs and puts down the knife she was cutting produce with. “What am I supposed to call you then? It isn’t like I have any other grandbabies to talk about or spoil.”

There it was, the mom guilt. Eighteen years later and she still likes to bring up the fact that Hayes was her only grandchild. Blair and I certainly had plans for more babies, but I always pushed it off. I wanted to be more settled in my career to provide a better life for them. I guess we all know how that ended up.

“Don’t look at me, I did my job. Go get on Emory about when she’s holding up her end of the deal.”

“I heard my name,” my sister said, right on cue. She sauntered in and took a seat on the island next to Hayes.

“I was just telling mom that if she wants more grandkids she needs to ask you because I already did my part.”

Emory nearly choked on the carrot that she stole from the cutting board, “Excuse me? If you haven’t noticed, I’m not even in a relationship right now. Sorry, Mom.”

“Really, Grandma, why are you worried about more grandkids anyway when you were met with perfection the first time around?” Hayes pointed up and down and even went as far as to flex his arms. Everybody laughed in response, even Blair who had been otherwise quiet up to this point.

“That ego is certainly enough Bishop ego for multiple generations to come,” she commented. Hayes made an exaggerated wince towards his mom and Emory and Mom just laughed. This was good, if she was making jokes that means she was feeling better. 

Mom sent us all to the formal dining room to get seated for dinner. While she was finishing all of the plates, Dad busted out some wine to will all of our glasses with. Since we were here as a family, we even agreed to let Hayes has a small amount. Blair and I weren’t naive, we are well aware that he’s been out with his friends partying and drinking before. Wine is such a huge part of my family’s livelihood that I think giving him the chance to respect the craft is important. He’s a large kid, so a small glass won’t do much of anything. He knows the reason he’s getting this is that he is mature and it is certainly a privilege.

Mom brings out the salad and we all fill our plates while we wait for the main course. Soon after she walks in with a huge platter full of stuffed lobster tales and pasta. I cringe when she sets it down in the middle of the table and my mom must notice because she says something right away, “What’s wrong?”

“I should have asked what you were making, Mom. Blair doesn’t like lobster.”

“Oh shoot, Blair I am so sorry. I can whip something else up!”

“Oh no, Diana,” Blair quickly tries to remedy the situation. “Cody is right that I don’t typically eat shellfish, but lately I’ve kind of been on a kick.”

“You have?” We’ve had dinner together most nights for the last month or so and I haven’t witnessed this new kick of hers. I’m worried that she’s just trying to appease my mom, that’s totally something Blair would do.