Chapter Two: It's Too Late

Spencer's attitude towards me changed almost overnight. I think, once the initial shock wore off, he realized just how angry he was.

"Spence?" I asked. He raised his eyebrows in response, not looking up from his book. "You're mad at me, aren't you?"

"What? No, how could I be."

'Spence..." He sighed and looked up at me.

"Yeah, ok? You're right, I am. How could I not be?"

"I thought so...Look-"

"I'd really, rather not talk about this right now...or, you know what, I'd really rather not talk to you in general."

"Spencer-"

"I've had more than enough practice." I watched him as he took his book and left the apartment, slamming the door behind him. I sighed, running my hands through my hair.

"Where's daddy going?" Riley asked.

"I don't know, sweetheart...I honestly don't know."

~~~

Things at work weren't much better.

"Hey, where have you been? I wanted to do brunch this weekend." JJ said.

"I had some stuff to deal with with my mom. Have you seen Garcia?" Lie.

"Uh, she's with Rossi...He hates me."

"Mm...he was just busy..."

"Yeah, concentrating on how much he hates me." I told them.

"Oh please, he loves you."

"No...At the moment I don't think he does."

~~~

"I am having a Fellini Festival at my house this weekend, and I must serve the beautiful food of his country." Garcia said, talking to Rossi as she came in.

"Maybe you should show and Disney film and just stick with burgers."

"You know, Rossi, you could always give Penelope a cooking lesson." Morgan said. I laughed at the look Rossi gave him.

"Oh, that would be amazing! That would be like...the Iron chef meets the BAU, and we could do it at your house!"

'I don't have a house, I have a mansion."

"Alright, let's get started." Hotch said, coming in. JJ slid the remote over to Garcia.

"All right, Mes Amis. You are jetting to Durant, Oklahoma, Because, in the past three days, two women have been found dead after being sexually tortured, and then blinded with a sulfuric acid solution." I grimaced."Abby Ellcott is our first victim. Nineteen-year-old art student, she was headed to campus for an advanced drawing class, she'd been missing for two days. Same goes for out second victim Beth Westerly, seventeen. She had just finished her coffee shop shift, and was on her way to a bar method class."

"Both low-risk victims."

'And physically similar." Morgan added.

"How close are the two abduction sites?"

"Five miles apart at bus stops. Abby's cell was found near one, Beth's scarf near another."

"Where were the dump sites?" Spencer asked.

"One in an alley, the other in a field."

"So he stapled their eyes open, then he blinded them."

'It's about power and control. Maybe he didn't want them to watch while he hurt them." I couldn't help but watch JJ glance at Spencer, who pretended not to notice.