CHAPTER TWELVE

—— NUMB TO THE FEELING
chapter twelve: skull rock

     KATE WALLACE HADN'T SAID a single word since last night

KATE WALLACE HADN'T SAID a single word since last night. Not one single word. The girl was in complete and utter shock due to the events that took place. Sitting with her legs hugged tightly to her chest, Kate huddled under a large rock, staring directly at the ground beneath her. From what she knew, Eddie Munson had brought her to what he called 'Skull Rock', which they were now using as a hideout until the others found them.

"Kate?"

Kneeling across from her, Eddie Munson stared at the girl as his eyes searched her features with worry. Unlike Kate, the boy remembered everything from that night.

Every last detail.

Eddie Munson could remember how the water was reddened with Patrick McKinney's blood as he swam through to get to shore. He could remember how he pulled himself out of the lake, finding Kate Wallace harshly tied down to the dock with a rope tightly wrapped around her wrists.

He could remember her horrified expression as she stared out at the scene, replaying the image of the Patrick's death over and over in her head. He could remember how quickly he bent down to untie her, noticing the large red marks the rope left on her wrists as he did so. Lastly, he could remember running. Running as far away as possible without looking back.

And now, he sat in front of her, focusing his gaze on her expressionless face.

"Come on, Kate, talk to me."

Hesitantly, the girl looked up at Eddie, her throat feeling impossibly dry as she opened her mouth to speak, "Is Patrick...is he really dead?"

Kate watched as the boy paused, letting out a shaky breath before confirming, "Yes."

Shrinking back into her previous position, Kate Wallace fearfully shook her head. Although the girl wished to be brave, wished to help, it was getting too much for her. Witnessing death was scary enough, but what made it worse for her was that she knew these people. They weren't just anybody, they were her friends. It made her sick to her stomach knowing that she couldn't do anything to stop it from happening.

The girl was too caught up in her own thoughts that she had barely noticed the several others arrive at Skull Rock. It wasn't until the girl felt Eddie Munson stand up beside her that she was drawn back to her senses.

"Jesus, we thought you two were goners," Dustin Henderson sighed, racing up to the boy and pulling him into a hug.

"Yeah, me too," Eddie hummed, patting the boy on the back. "Me too."