Prologue

"What's this creature then?"

"That, my dear cousin, are Planetars. They are a race of angels, divine beings, the entire personification of the virtues and nobility and justice!" Dustin threw up is arms in theatrics.
"Okay, okay, calm down, buddy. It's just a game." Rosemary chuckled. 

"Just a game? Dungeons and Dragons isn't just a game! Who knows, you might see one of these things in real life." The girl slapped away Dustin's wiggly hands creeping up on her. "They are known to appear before powerful mortals so they can lead them on heroic quests or to aid them in battle against monsters."

"And what on earth makes you think that they will appear  to me then? I'm not powerful nor will I ever meet any monsters"

...

God, how could she be so stupid? For once, Rosemary decided to play hero and go look around the woods herself to see if she could find any trace of Will. The ringing in her ear did not dstract from the aching pain of the large slashes in her abdomen. Why did she climb in that hole? Why did she have to step right into the Demogorgan's lair. How she wished she had never known anything about the Upside Down and the young girl from Hawkins Lab. Instead, she sat hunched on the dirty ground of the Upside Down while blood was gushing through the gaps of her fingers from the wound where the monster slashed her, before disappearing again. 

Lips quivered at the thought of her failure. Now Dustin and the rest of his friends would have to worry about her as well. She never found anything of Will. She just caused even more trouble. Rosemary's eyes felt heavy and she fell down on her side. God, who would have ever thought that the girl who loved to wear flower dresses, paint and write silly poems was the one to die while completely failing at being a hero. 

"I'm sorry, Will" she managed to whimper. Whatever God existed in this universe, she prayed that Will wouldn't have to suffer the same fate as her. 

She squeezed her eyes shut when the ringing in her ears became even louder and a bright light was shining above her. Is this what is felt like to die? 

"Giving up so soon?"

A low voice boomed in her ear. Rosemary opened her eyes with a gasp. Nothing could be seen except the dark, disgusting forest covered in vines. With a groan, she tried to sit up again but failed. "I did not know this was part of the dying process" she chuckled and whined in pain, regretting it immediately. 

"Don't you want to find your friend?"

She didn't know what came over her but she actually answered with a nod. Why was she answering something that was just in her head? 

"I can help with that." 

Scrunching her eyebrows, she began to see a figure forming in the bright light. 

"What in the holy hell?"

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open at the sight of large wings and a humanoid figure with pointy ears. The skull did not move at all but still she could hear the figure speak. "I can heal your wounds, child. Just say so and you can find your friend again." It's large black eyes stared down at the fatally wounded girl. "Just say so and I can give you your life back."

How foolish did this creature think she was? Rosemary had seen enough horror movies to know this would be the worst thing to accept. However, her heart made her rethink. She wanted Will back. The quiet, sensitive boy that she always loved to babysit. He needed to be back with his friends, safe and sound. She wanted to see her Dustin again and her best friend, who never knew when to shut up and always glared at the back of that damned Steve's head during miss Click's class. Will promised to teach her how to play Dungeons and Dragons and she would teach him how to paint even better. She couldn't give all that up. Not now. 

Damn the consequences. Whatever could save her from death, would be perfectly fine, no matter what this weird creature wanted in return. 

"Fine, do it."

A bony hand caressed her cheek and it felt as if she was falling down into a pit. The last thing she heard before being completely gone "I might understand the need for diplomacy, but i prefer my knights to settle situations with their swords. Rise, my knight."