But this morning I got absolutely nothing. I was confused and felt as if something wasn't right.

"Derek!" I call out, no response. I call out for Derek once more and still nothing. Not a single heartbeat.

"How lovely he left without even telling me" I turn to check the time on my alarm to see it was 6:42. "Oh shit!"

-𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐝:𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐡-

Maya enters the class with Lydia and Allison following in behind with other students all quickly laying claim to desks for the semester. She quickly takes the seat in front of Stiles as Lydia takes the one beside him. Looking about, Allison finds only one empty seat remaining.

Right in front of Scott.

"Hey. Anyone sitting--"

"No, no one. It's all you. All yours. Totally... vacant."
She sits down and Scott glances over to Stiles and Maya who stares back in disbelief at their friend's profound awkwardness.

"That was beautiful. Mind blowing. Inspiring" Maya said sarcastically as Allison hid her face in embarrassment.

But then a vibration turns Maya to her cell phone on the desk. It's an incoming message. In fact, every phone in the room begins buzzing, beeping and vibrating with messages.

Scott raises his phone to look at the message when a confident female voice begins to read it aloud.

"The offing was barred by a black bank of clouds...", heels clicking across the floor as she enters the room, the beautiful Ms. Jennifer Blake reads from her own cell phone"...and the tranquil waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth flowed somber under an overcast sky..."

Lowering her phone, she speaks the last line from memory.

"...seemed to lead into the heart of an immense darkness." She looks out to the class, rapt with attention.

"That is the last line to the first book we're going to read. It's also the last text you'll receive in this class. Phones off, everyone." While the others do as instructed, Scott and Maya hesitate, they look at each other, nodding before shutting their phone's off.

While Ms. Blake writes on the blackboard, Maya notices Allison lowering her hand to pass Scott a note.

Maya turns around, tapping Stiles on the head. "Allison just past Scott a note what do you think it's about?" She whispered. Stiles looks over at Scott as he pulled out a pen to write back. Stiles shrugs his shoulders and turns back to his work.
Scott grabs his pen to write a reply when the classroom door opens. The Principal steps in to speak with Ms. Blake.

"Mr. McCall? Ms. Hale?"

All eyes turn to Scott then to Maya in a smooth fashion as Ms. Blake motioned for them to approach. Maya grabs her bag and throws it over her shoulder, they steps into the hall with Ms. Blake.

"Maya, Right?" Ms. Blake questioned. Maya nodded. "Just wanted to get to know your name. You have the best test scores in the county so I think we'll get along well"

Maya nodded slowly. "So why am I out here?" "Your aunt called she said it's an emergence, she needed to meet her at the hospital."

Maya first thought was why Rebekah or Freya in Beacon Hills, then it clicked she was talking about Melissa. Melissa was the "aunt" that needed me at the hospital. Isaac was in trouble.