CHAPTER TEN

She stopped in mid sentence, astounded and speechless. She should attempt a response, any response.

‘Justin!’ Caitlin swallowed, dropping down to her knees to hug him.

‘Hey honey, how are you?  It’s wonderful to see you here?’ Caitlin hugged him again.

If Justin was here, Nicholas could not be far away.

Her anxiously beating heart was performing some kind of acrobatic maneuvers.

‘I’m here to attend uncle Stuart’s wedding?’ Justin informed her.

“Uncle Stuart?” Caitlin repeated, bravely risking a glance in her parents’ direction.  They seemed to be bemused.  Caitlin wondered if they’d been introduced to Justin already.

 ‘Do you know Uncle Stuart?’ Justin continued.

‘Yes, Stuart’s my brother.’ Caitlin smiled.

She wondered what was with the “Uncle” bit.

‘Really?’ Justin exclaimed. ‘He came to Knightsbridge last week and asked me if I would like to carry the rings at his wedding.  And I said “yes.”’

‘Interesting!’ Caitlin smiled.

She did not need to look, but every fibre in her body acknowledged Nicholas’ presence behind her. From the corner of her eye, she caught her parents studying her reaction to Nicholas’ presence. Until now, she gave no indication that she knew Nicholas was nearby.

 ‘Look Caitlin, Nick’s here.  Aren’t you going to hug him?’

Caitlin silently cringed, she could feel her cheeks flaming up like a ripe tomato

Her mom and dad tried hard to hide the smirk from their faces. Even though it was night, she was sure the rosy tinge of delight on her face was visible to all and sundry. Caitlin turned around then, to establish where he was standing. She stood up her eyes drawn to the admiring look on his face. He was gorgeously dressed in his tux.  His face smoothly shaved, he looked relaxed, confident and at ease.

‘Hi,’ she gave him a big warm smile for Justin’s benefit then reached out to courteously offer him a hug.

 ‘Hi.’ he responded, accepting the hug she offered. 

Caitlin felt electrical waves rip through her as she went into his arms. It was like being in heaven, feeling the strength of those arms circle around her body, drawing her against his wall of sheer masculine strength. He must have felt something too, for she heard a quick intake of his breadth, but as soon as they quickly disentangled, he was composed again.

 ‘You okay?’ Nicholas asked, cryptically. His palms still casually on her shoulder blades.

Caitlin nodded, her eyes glued to his, unable to extricate, as much as she knew they had an audience.

‘And Telstar?’ he prompted.

Tongue tied, she wanted to nod again, then commanded her brain to offer an audible response.

‘Much calmer now,’ she offered.

Nicholas took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter and offered it to Caitlin.

‘Thank you,’ she murmured, appreciating the refreshing, chilled drink. Caitlin was unaware exactly when her parents had slipped away. She was alone now with Nicholas and Justin. She reached out and clasped Justin’s hand to hers. He offered her an adoring grin.

‘How are you really holding out Caitlin?’

Professionally or personally?

 ‘Fine thank you and yourself?’