This Is Where It Ends

"Ric?" Lexi asked under her breath as the sight of her uncle came into view. 

"Lexi" Alaric said as he stood up and wrapped his arms around his niece. Lexi had separated from Stefan and Original Lexi once she figured out that they clearly needed time alone. After searching for her uncle for just over an hour, she finally managed to find him. "I missed you so much." Ric said as they pulled out of their hug.

Not as much as you probably missed Elena but okay...

"I missed you too" Lexi said. Before either of them could say anything, the sound of a man clearing his throat was heard from behind Ric. A look of realisation then dawned of Ric's expression before he had to lower his head in order to hide the smile beginning form on his lips.

"I think there is someone here who you missed more." Ric said as he began to move out of the way.

Wait, what the fuck? Who-

oh

my

god

"Dad?"

----------------------------------------------- 

"Liz, no" Damon said frantically as he tried to move the pillar off Liz's body. After crashing his car into the grill, Damon passed through Bonnie and was now back at the grill where his body was in the real world. 

Damon's panic was quickly calmed as the pillar was moved by a figure standing above him. Alaric's face then came into focus and Damon quickly moved a box in front of Liz's body to stop the pillar from leaning against her. 

"Friendly advice, when you finally get the girl," Ric said, "Don't blow her up." Damon chuckled before speaking.

"It's good to see you too buddy." Damon said as breathing slowed, recovering from his panic.

"Ouch" Lexi said, knowing Damon couldn't see her yet, "That hurt Salvatore."

"Lexi" Damon whispered before standing up and pulling her into his arms. After a moment, Damon slid from Lexi's hold and noticed a man who he couldn't recognise standing with them. "Who the hell are you?" Damon asked, his eyes scanning him for any signs of a threat.

"Damon" Lexi said, "This is my dad." Damon's focus instantly returned to the man as he recalled everything he had been told by Lexi about him. Once Damon pieced everything together, he hummed in acknowledgement before he continued speaking.  

"Great" Damon said, "Now let's go and find our way back to the land of the living."

----------------------------------------------- 

"Bonnie" Damon shouted as they finally entered the cemetery.

"Thank god" Bonnie muttered. 

"I need to talk to you" Lexi's dad said to her.

"Can we do once we are back in the real world?" Lexi asked, not wanting to stay on the other side any longer than necessary. 

"That's the thing" He said, "I'm not going back."

"What?" 

"Alexandra Carter"

Ah shit

"I have been on the other side for over four years, watching you become this strong, powerful woman who I am so proud to call my daughter." He continued. 

"Why won't you come back?" Lexi blurted out, her voice cracking as tears began to form in her eyes.

"It's not my place-"

"What does that even mean?" Lexi said, cutting him off. 

"If I came back you'd have another 30 years before you have to through the exact same grief you already suffered when you lost me the first time."

"But-"

"If I stay here, I can get one final goodbye with my daughter and I can go to peace. Be with the rest of our family and know that you'll be okay." He said, his hands resting on the upper part of Lexi's arms in encouragement so that he could meet her eyes. Part of Lexi wanted nothing more than for him to come back to the real world. The other part of her knew that he was right and that he deserved to finally find peace. "I love you so much, Lexi and I am so proud of you." He said as he pulled her in for one final hug.

"I love you too" Lexi said as he began to fade away. Lexi quickly wiped away the tears that had fallen as she turned back to Bonnie and Damon. Damon then shot her a reassuring smile before he spoke.

"Time to join Ric and the others" Damon announced as he took Lexi's hand and led her towards Bonnie. The trio then shared a look before Damon and Lexi then placed one arm on either side of Bonnie and waited to go back to the real world.

Except

They couldn't.

Confusion quickly overtook the them as Lexi and Damon began to tap their hands against Bonnie, trying to jump back through to the real world. 

"Ah fuck" Lexi muttered.

"Well would you look at that." Damon said as realisation dawned on them. 

----------------------------------------------- 

"What is taking so long?" Kol said as he paced along the boarder of Mystic Falls.

"They have a way to bring her back, they just need time." Elijah said.

"Time will not bring her back, them working harder will." Klaus spat.

"She could already be back and just trying to find a way to save Bonnie." Finn declared.

"We would have felt it if she had come back" Rebekah said as she sat down on the road and  leant against their car, "She's gone."

"Don't say things like that." Klaus said, unintentionally flashing his eyes at her.

"Niklaus control yourself." Elijah said, moving between Rebekah and Klaus.

The Scooby gang had promised that they would find a way to bring back Lexi and now that Elena, Enzo, Stefan and some other people who the Mikaelson's concluded were irrelevant had come back, their inner animals were experiencing unbearable levels of torment. 

"We could have stopped her," Kol said as he sat down next to Rebekah, "We could have gone with her. We could have done quite literally anything but what we did and she would still be here."

"Kol don't-" Rebekah started.

"Why not, Rebekah?" Kol snapped, "It's not like there's a point anymore, she's not coming back."

"We will find a way-" Finn said.

"When?" Niklaus stated, "Once the other side has already collapsed and her existence has been wiped from the earth?" 

"Nikla-" Elijah said but was quickly cut off.

"Don't Elijah," Rebekah said, "Don't try to be all positive and optimistic right now when it very clear our mate is gone, and she's not coming back." Niklaus then collapsed on the ground next to Rebekah, trying to hold himself together. Finn then sat on the ground next to Kol, Elijah beside him. 

"She's gone" Finn whispered, the family still coming to terms with the news. Elijah tipped his head back against the car as the idea finally began to sink into his mind. He then ran his hands through his usually perfectly styled hair and pulled on it painfully hard.

"We will get through this" Elijah said under his breath as the siblings fell into silence. As the siblings sat there, waiting for the feeling of their mate being taken by the other side collapsing, a figure began to emerge from the woods in front of them.

Each of the siblings then stood up, preparing for whatever news they were about to hear.

"Miss Bennett" Elijah acknowledged as the siblings tried to analyse her expression.

"There is something I need to tell you."