Chapter 2

As Maya and I walked into homeroom after the bell rang, we soon realized there were only two seats left and they weren't right next to each other.

     "I guess I'll see you at the end of the period then," she whispered before walking to the seat at the back of the class.

     Great. She left me with the seat in the very front right by the teacher's desk. I hurried over to my seat just as the bell rang and started to pull out my binder from my bag.

     "Good morning class, my name is Mr. Keith and I will be your Geometry teacher for the rest of this school year," he announced loudly.

     As soon as the words left his mouth, I got a spray of coffee-smelling saliva directly to the face. I shot up my hands to my face in horror and quickly wiped his germs away with the sleeve of my jacket. I looked at Mr. Keith, who was now handing out papers to have our parents sign, in disgust. He was short, stubby man and had half a head of hair. It was mostly white, so I was assuming he's in his 60s. Underneath his nose lay a white stringy beard that grew down and hung below his chin. He was wearing an ugly brown shirt that did not go well with his ice blue eyes, and spoke with a hint of an Irish accent. If I had to sit in this seat all year long, I would just die. Maya is going to get it once class is over.

     He spent the rest of the period telling us of his expectations for the class, and the rules. He had this weird rule that people had to write their name on the board if they had to go to the bathroom, and he would time them until they got back. However much time they had spent in the bathroom was the amount of time they had to stay in his class at lunch. That was a bunch of bologna. I already didn’t like this guy.

     Right before the bell rang, I shoved my binder full of new papers into my already heavy backpack. It was the first day of school in first period and my backpack already felt like I was carrying around bricks. Thanks to Mr. Keith, since we are honor students we should be working out of the bigger book, because it has more work. Apparently since we were all smart in this class it meant we had more problems to do. Man, was this going to be a fun year.

     After throwing my bag over my shoulder, I made my way out the door. As soon as I squeezed out, I patiently waited for Maya. She would be the last one out.

     "Oh my gosh, Mr. Keith is so boring! I don't know how I'm going to survive all year. I mean bigger books? C'mon," she complained.

     "That's not the worst of it," I said, slightly annoyed," I sit right in front of his desk and he spits when he talks. I'm going to get here early tomorrow so I don't have to sit in the splash zone again."

     "Sounds like a plan," she said with an amused look on her face.

     The next 2 periods seemed like an eternity. But finally lunch came around. When Maya and I walked into the cafeteria, it was like a madhouse. People were scrambling everywhere, some trying to get in line for food, and some just trying to find a table to sit at. Maya spotted a small table by the window at the back of the cafeteria so we quickly made our way over before anyone else could take it. We sat down throwing our bags into the seats next to us and start talking about our day so far.

     “Dude, did you see Mrs. Frank’s mole in English?! I don’t want to look at that thing all year! She should just let us pick our own seats like every other teacher instead of giving us a seating chart. She put me right in front of her desk! I can tell she already hates me…” she blabbed away.

     “Yeah, that thing was pretty disgusting,” I agreed scrunching my nose a bit at the thought of Mrs. Frank’s mole.

     “No, you don’t understand. Sitting right in front of her desk is like looking at that thing with a magnifying glass! There’s even a hair growing out of it!” she yelled, her eyes wide. She pretended to gag and then pulled out her lunch.