Friends With Benefits 8

My state of mind goes blank however my body moves quickly. Before I realize, I'm dressed in sweats and one of Jaidyn's jumpers.

And then it hits me and my heart drops to my stomach. A sickening, horrible sensation flows through me and I feel like I'm going to be sick. I'm momentarily distracted as my phone starts blaring, and then my heart is working again and beating twenty times in a second.

"Hello," I shout, praying for Jaidyn or my dad.

"Hey darl," An unrecognizable voice. "It's Nathan,"

"Nate," I breathe shakily. "Now isn't a good time,"

"How come?" I don't respond, my mind in overdrive yet no coherent thoughts are occurring. "Melissa, are you okay?"

"No," I start. "I mean yes, but..." My keys are in Jay's car. "Nathan, do you drive?"

"Yes, why? Where do you live?"

I hang up on him and text him my address before rushing downstairs. I turn all the lights off and grab my house key, slamming the front door behind me in my haste to hurry. Nate pulls up three minutes later.

"Where to?" His face is soft, concerned, yet he doesn't question me as I tell him to take us to the hospital. However, I feel as though I owe him the little information I know.

"Jaidyn, you know Jaidyn?" He nods quickly. "I woke up to him missing and found a text saying he'd taken my dad to the hospital because of chest pains."

He stays silent for a moment, turning right onto a main road. "Does he have a history of heart troubles?"

"Yes,"

"I'm so sorry," He says gently, his hand rubbing my shoulder.

"Me too,"  I whisper, my fists clenching as my eyes water.

*

In the ER I find Jaidyn sitting down, his elbows resting on his knees with his head in his palms, his eyes cast down.

Anger overrides me when I see him sitting there, his intentions clearly not in thought of me. I glance at the clock. "Where is he?"

His head flies up and his eyes meet mine, their worry ceasing slightly as he stands. "Missy,"

"Why didn't you call me?" I demand and push him away as he tries to pull me into him. My words and actions hurt him as he looks at me, crestfallen. "Well? It's past eight! I had no way here!"

"I'm sorry," He rushes and he grabs his head in a stressful manner. "I haven't been thinking properly,"

I begin crying, my body violently starting to shake as my breaths become short. "He is my dad, not yours," I whisper harshly. "And if he dies, it'll be your fault I didn't get to see him."

"He's like my dad, too," His face hardens and he forcefully pulls me into his arms. I push against his chest but he ignores me. "Don't you dare say stuff like that! He will be fine,"

I give up and fall into his embrace as sobs start to rack my chest. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry,"

"Sh, sh," He keeps repeating while rubbing my back.

"Hey I'm gonna grab a snack," Nathan's voice reminds me of his presence. I turn and face him. He smiles gently. "You want a drink, girl?"

I smile slightly, noticing I have hiccoughs. "A water, please."

Once he's gone I turn back to Jaidyn. He's welcoming arms aren't there anymore, instead he's sitting back in his chair, his face and posture hard and distant.