『 Chapter ☆ 13: Into The Lion's Den 』

Start from the beginning

"Right, well then...that would mean we are one mask short. Since I don't have any more on me at the moment, that means someone will have to stay behind." The red eyed man points out.
"That won't be necessary. I expected something like this to happen. Thankfully, I always come prepared." I reply, pulling out one of my own. The face covering is a beautiful   (f/c), made by one of Fontaine's many artisans and purchased because a friend of mine had expressed interest in attending a masquerade ball. In the end I decided to keep it, feeling that throwing it away afterwards would be quite a waste. In this moment, that choice is much appreciated as I give the one that Diluc handed me earlier to Venti.
"Well...with that problem solved, I'm sure we can go ahead and start the mission. What do you say?" Aether voices to the group as the red haired male takes his turn to speak.
"That sounds good to me. Let's move." The wine tycoon replies as he enters the Fatui hideout, everyone except for the Acting Grandmaster following suit.

Once inside, we're immediately met by our first obstacle meant to deter trespassers from entering. Ahead of us lay rotating platforms that spew fire in four different directions as they spin slowly. The heat from the flames warms the air around us as our group comes to a stop, a safe distance away.
"Oh no, Paimon doesn't want to get roasted. How are we going to get to the other side?" The pixie asks.
"You do realize you can fly over, silly." The blond replies as he playfully ruffles her white locks.
"Hmph. Maybe...but Paimon is also worried about you and (Y/n) you know." The small girl responds.
"What about Venti and Diluc? Are you not worried for their safety too?" I question, joining in on the conversation.
"Well, Diluc has a pyro vision so Paimon thinks that the flames won't bother him too much, like a warm blanket." She begins with a shrug. While the fairy's logic regarding vision wielders does have some truth, pyro users are not impervious to fire and certainly can still get burned.
Following her previous comment, her eyes then fall on the dark haired musician. "That...man on the other hand, makes Paimon upset. So upset that Paimon has the perfect ugly nickname picked out specially for him. Tone Deaf Bard. He can find his own way across." The blue eyed female finishes as she crosses her arms in contempt.

"Oh, well that's quite a shame indeed. I had the perfect solution to get us all to the other side but I suppose I'll just offer it to everyone else." Venti says lightly as he raises his left hand in the air. Closing his eyes, the wind around us starts to pick up as he summons an air current. "Why run across and risk getting singed when gliding is so much quicker?" He exclaims as the power of anemo allows him to use his windglider to glide across. As soon as he's landed on the other side, the green clad bard cups his hands together before shouting across the gap. "See? It's very safe. I would advise you to come over immediately. The air current won't last forever so you best be quick about it." The shorter male informs us. With a nod of understanding, the rest of us follow suit, gliding over the ominous flames before touching down safely on the other side.

"Thank you for your help, Venti." I tell the bard gratefully, receiving a warm smile in return.
"Yes, you saved us a lot of trouble." Diluc adds as our blond companion speaks up.
"Agreed, it really came in handy. I hadn't thought about using my powers that way." Aether muses, likely considering how he can incorporate new ideas into his own fighting style or just for regular traversal.
"It was my pleasure, helping out friends is the right thing to do." He replies before turning away from us towards the unknown.
"We don't know how many Fatui are currently at this hideout, so let's be on guard." The wine tycoon warns before we continue deeper.

Winding down the different hallways, we eventually come across our first Fatui soldier who cowers in front of us like a scared animal.
"No, No! Please don't eat me!" He yells, shielding his face against an oncoming attack. When that doesn't happen, he gingerly opens his eyes as he takes in our small group. "Oh...you're human?" The man asks in surprise. His assumption leads me to believe he expected an attack from the Abyss Order as he begins to mumble to himself. "The entire floor's defences have been broken." The guard says.
"We've come for the Holy Lyre." Aether informs the male in a stern voice which only works to further our current opponent's dread.
"H-How did you know it's being kept here? This place should have been secure." He begins as Diluc gives him a stone cold glare of intimidation. In response, the Fatui soldier makes his choice to preserve his own skin. "A-Alright, I'll tell you...if you're after the key, keep going further into the ruins, but don't come after me! I don't know which of the guards has it, but I'm sure you can find out for yourselves. One of the Harbingers is already in Mondstadt, Signora. W-When she comes, she'll see to it that you suffer for defying the Fatui. When that time comes, d-don't you dare say a word about me." He informs us before turning tail and fleeing.
"That was really easy. Wow...Aether, Diluc, the two of you have got some good intimidation skills." Venti exclaims, praising the red head and the blond.
"Yes. That guard looked like he was about to wet himself in fear." Paimon adds with a smirk at the retreating figure as I open my mouth to speak.
"You get all sorts of people within any organization. This one was not a very loyal soldier, that's for sure." I say as we venture further into the hideout.
"(Y/n), that man mentioned the name Signora. Who's that?" The golden eyed male asks me curiously.
"That would be the identity the eighth of the Fatui Harbingers goes by. There are eleven of them in total, all very powerful individuals from fighters to diplomats. They are infamous among the populous but many of the finer details about the eleven and the business they conduct is shrouded in secrecy." I explain.
"That's right, because of the Harbingers, the Fatui can easily wreak havoc across the seven nations. They only answer directly to the Cryo Archon herself." The wine tycoon adds, venom lacing his words at the thought of them as the rest of the group nods in understanding.
"Oh no, if someone like that is coming, then Paimon thinks that you guys need to hurry up." The pixie exclaims.